Thursday, January 26, 2006

Why I'm Glad I Never Sold My Record Collection



TIME FADES AWAY (1973) is a PRIME example of why I'm glad I never sold my old records. Even though I might go a decade or two between listens, when I do pull out a gem, it's a beautiful thing.

Now, this is a rough-cut gem, certainly not a fully-polished stone. However, I think it's a gem none-the-less. As far as I can tell, it's the earliest example of Neil releasing a new album of previously unreleased songs that were recorded live in concert (see also RUST NEVER SLEEPS). In fact, it might be the earliest example of anyone doing such a thing. What a way to follow up the multi-platinum-selling, genre-crossing, mega-hit HARVEST! Neil being Neil, to be sure.

The album starts with the title track. I can't decide if it sounds more like southern rock or a Dylanesque rocker with "The Band". Either way, it's uptempo, and I like it!

"Journey Thru the Past" follows. This one was actually recorded in 1971, and features Neil alone at the piano for what sounds for all the world like "After the Gold Rush", Part 2. This one is not as imaginative lyrically, but feels at least as personal.

"Yonder Stands the Sinner" is edgy musically, but Neil's vocal performance seems somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

"LA" sounds like a musical cousin of "Ohio" or "Alabama" at first, though the emergence of the piano takes it in a slightly different direction, and the vocals take a "Mr. Soul" type of turn. Lyrics such as "uptight city in the smog" certainly sound like an indictment of the city.

"Love In Mind", also recorded in 1971, is a mellow, piano-based tune.

"Don't Be Denied", to me, is the ultimate highlight of this album. It's a solid rocker (not particularly fast, but solid), and check out these lyrics. Sounds like Neil baring his soul, if you ask me.

"The Bridge" is another Neil solo effort on piano, harmonica and vocals. Neil continues to open his soul to ask if love lost can be rebuilt. I suppose it remained to be seen.

"Last Dance" closes the album. It's an extended jam with some fairly angry vocals, and very stinging guitars. Sure, it's a bit overindulgent (i.e., too long, perhaps), but that was just a sign of the times, my man.

Bottom line: I really liked re-discovering this one, but good luck finding it. The album was out of print for YEARS before vinyl LPs all but disappeared as a medium. As far as I know, this one has never been released on CD.

PS - The ultimate bonus: I had completely forgotten the amazing insert included with the record. It folds out to nearly 3 ft. by 4 ft., and includes lyrics, the line-up of musicians by song, and other liner notes. Too cool. (Damn, I miss albums.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike H. said...

Aww man, I'm jealous you have this. I've never heard it. They did just *finally* re-release On the Beach so maybe there's some hope for this one.

I've got a live boot from 1976 that has one or two of these tunes, "Journey through the past" comes to mind as a good one.

11:18 AM, January 26, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

Yessir. I got lucky on this one. I found what would be described as a "mint condition" used copy at a record store in Champaign, back in my U of I days (probably '89 or '90, or so). It was just a regularly-priced used album at the time (I'm guessing $4.99).

I read somewhere that there's some sort of petition circulating online to have this album released on CD. I would find it highly unlikely that would have any effect on a record company's decision. However, I like the spirit.

11:57 AM, January 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home