Wednesday, September 05, 2007

I Witnessed A Living Legend...

...on Saturday night. For the first time in my life, I saw Dave Mason play live in concert. Amazing. Great, soulful voice, and DAMN can he play guitar!!!

His band (2nd guitarist, keyboardist, bassist, drummer) was tight as heck. The setlist included Traffic classics "40,000 Headmen," "Dear Mr. Fantasy"* and "Feelin' Alright." They also did a KILLER "All Along the Watchtower" (as you might know, Dave Mason played on the studio recording of the Hendrix version). A couple of Dave's solo hits I recognized were "Only You Know and I Know" and "We Just Disagree."

Mr. Mason introduced a couple songs as "new": a pretty cool sounding country-rocker called "Are Your Legs Tired 'Cause You've Been Running Through My Mind" (a cliche even my beloved Neil might snicker at--good song though), and a southern-fried rocker called "Let Me Go"...DAMN! I wish I were a taper, because that 90-minute set kicked major buttocks!

* NOTE: Interestingly, for the only time all night, Dave let his 2nd guitarist play the HUGE guitar solo in the middle of "Dear Mr. Fantasy," and the guy was great, too! I think that might be further indication that Winwood played the amazing album version solo, although it was INFINITELY CLEAR to me that Mason could've played it--or just about any other damn thing I've ever heard (blistering/stinging guitar, great wah wah effects, etc.).

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

Oh, wow! Sounds like it was an amazing show. I'd love to hear some of the Traffic stuff live, as well as "We Just Disagree." Wonder if he's headed down south ...

6:07 AM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger KK said...

I love, love, love Dave Mason. He enjoyed some commercial success in the mid 70's but nothing worthy of his talent.

If you don't have Dave Mason Certified Live from 1976 - get it!

it's got some great rockers including a great "Gimme Some Lovin" as the last song encore.

I'm jealous you got to see him as he is one I've never seen.

But I am coming to Chicago to see Bruce and the E Street Band - if I get extra tickets, I'll let you know!

2:39 PM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger Dale said...

Sounds like an awesome show Haahnster.

10:08 PM, September 08, 2007  
Blogger thrasher said...

Sounds like a great show. I didn't know Mason played with Hendrix. Very cool.

9:21 AM, September 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home