Monday, February 25, 2008

Fantastic Bad Guy

I meant to mention this. I actually saw a movie this year. In fact, it was the first "grown-up" movie I've seen in a theater in close to twelve full months or more. (We did take Emily to see the Chipmunks movie starring Jason Lee.)

Two weekends ago, I finally got around to seeing No Country For Old Men. Phenomenal. I am a huge fan of the Coen Brothers, and I'd say this ranks right up there with their best. And, Javier Bardem was excellent. I'm glad he won the Oscar. I'm even more glad to say I didn't watch a single minute of that awards show to end all awards shows. Damn, I hate that self-aggrandizing bullshit. But, anyway, amazing movie. Tommy Lee Jones was very good, too. Perhaps not as exceptional as he was in The Fugitive, but he was great. (Much better than, say, Volcano...)

Anyway, the other movie I considered was There Will Be Blood. However, due to theater locations and show times, it wasn't as viable an option. I do want to see that one also, though.

I feel like I should discuss the movie more, but I'll leave the spoiler material for the comments, if anyone chooses to discuss the movie there.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

I am so ashamed. I've worshipped the Coens since I first saw Blood Simple in the theaters ... and I have yet to see this. And I don't have children to blame (do cats count?).

p.s. My word verification is ekxfunk. I need some x-funk.

4:31 AM, February 27, 2008  
Blogger haahnster said...

X-funk, indeed!

8:45 AM, February 27, 2008  
Blogger Rob said...

I see almost as few movies as you do and I have no small children to give me an excuse. I am hoping to get to No Country for Old men this weekend. I read the book and it is great.

Did see TWBB, though, and Daniel Day Lewis is just unbelievably fucking good in it. It is kind of a weird movie, definitely weirdly structured. But pretty great.

7:05 PM, February 27, 2008  
Blogger haahnster said...

I saw an online column titled "The Coen Brothers Drank Paul Thomas Anderson's Milkshake"

I hope to find out what that means very soon!

(I've got the general idea---just sayin' I want to see TWBB)

9:52 AM, February 28, 2008  
Blogger KK said...

Nice to see you can still type - you owe it to yourself to get out more.

Maybe we should take up a collection and send you a movie gift certificate - that way you'd HAVE to go!

The Coen Brothers rock hard.

And by the way - Beth ain't got nothin' on me - my word verification is grtfud.

And I know what that means!!

3:49 PM, February 29, 2008  
Blogger Dale said...

I enjoyed No Country and thought Josh Brolin should have been handed a statue as well or at least another jug of water.

8:27 AM, March 24, 2008  
Blogger KK said...

Unless you've been kidnapped by aliens you'd better get back to posting!

10:57 AM, April 07, 2008  
Blogger Rob said...

I am going to go ahead and answer for the Haahnster, that we can expect to see more of him after tax day.

Not that excessive working is ever an excuse for not blogging. But I bet that is what is going on here.

11:57 PM, April 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home