Thursday, October 26, 2006

Funniest Movies--Recap

OK, so I said:

10. Dumb & Dumber; 9. The Big Lebowski; 8. Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me; 7. Tommy Boy; 6. There's Something About Mary; 5. National Lampoon's Vacation; 4. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut; 3. This Is Spinal Tap; 2. Animal House; 1. Caddyshack; which really was thrown together in about 90 seconds. But, it's as accurate as it needed to be.

Almost immediately, I realized The Jerk, Fletch, and American Pie were possible omissions. Commenters proceeded to point out others, which I will address one-by-one here:

The Mummy - I saw it once on video...don't recall much laughter or any enjoyment.
Eight-Legged Freaks - I've never seen it.
Skin Deep - I've never seen it.
Noises Off - I've never seen it.
Arsenic and Old Lace - I've never seen it.
Raising Arizona - I've seen it and enjoyed it. I love the Coen brothers. I need to see it again...
Scrooged - I've seen it once a long time ago. I love Bill Murray. I don't recall this being amongst my favorites of his.
Blues Brothers - I've seen it several times and enjoyed it. But, this one's overrated in my eyes.
A Night In Casablanca - I've never seen it.
Elf - Great one...worthy of consideration...in the Top 3 of "family" comedies for sure.
Take The Money And Run - I've never seen it
Stripes - Holy Shit!!! MAJOR omission on my part.
Face/Off - Mindless action does not equal comedy for me. It just equals mindless action...which is perfect if I'm in the right mood.
Young Frankenstein - I've never seen it (unbelievable as that seems).
Two Week Notice - I've never seen it (Hugh Grant = "romantic" comedy, right?).
Liar, Liar - Worthy contender, as is the 1st Ace Ventura movie (Pet Detective).
The Ref - I've never seen it, but I like Denis Leary (it's him, right?).
Me Myself & Irene - OK, but not my favorite Jim Carrey or Farrelly brothers...
Clerks - Worthy contender, as are most Kevin Smith movies. I think I might like Clerks II better than Clerks! Is that blasphemous??!?!
Office Space - Yes! Yes! This simply MUST find a spot on the list!

O Brother Where Art Thou - Worthy contender from the Coen Brothers...can't knock off Lebowski for me, though.
Super Troopers - This one is right there! If not Top 10, then certainly Top 15, meow.
Strange Brew - I've never seen it, which is bizarre. I was like 12 or 13 when it came out. Most of my friends loved it. I liked SCTV and specifically "Bob & Doug McKenzie." WHY haven't I ever seen this?!?
Army of Darkness - I've never seen it.
Planes, Trains and Automobiles - Another one that is right there. "Train don't run outta Wichita, lessen you a hog or a cattle. People train run out of [snooorrtts--hacks--clears throat] Stubbeville."
Zoolander - I've never seen it, which is also bizarre, since I really enjoy Ben Stiller.
The Princess Bride - I've never seen it. Isn't that a fucking Streisand movie?!? Jeez-us...oh, wait, that's The Prince of Tides...
Blazing Saddles - I've seen it. It's a classic...just not in my Top 10.
Airplane! - Those deadpan, Leslie Nielsen, sight-gag-filled things were never my cup of tea (includes Naked Gun, etc.).
Fargo - Great movie! Wonderful dark comedy (probably 2nd best dark comedy of all time, after Dr. Strangelove...), just not what I was considering for this list.
Bananas - I've never seen it. And, I must say, I only marginally "get" Woody Allen.
Fast Times at Ridgemont High - Oh, HELL yes! This is an all-time classic, especially for someone who was 11 or 12 when it came out. Spicoli is as good a comedic character as anyone in any film discussed in this post. Next to Caddyshack, this is about as quotable a comedy as there is.

Also, I absolutely bust a gut while viewing the following Eddie Murphy movies: Trading Places, Coming To America, and The Nutty Professor. Beverly Hills Cop was good, too.

Back To The Future? F*cking classic, McFly. What about Ferris Bueller's Day Off? Ghostbusters? Groundhog Day? Anchorman? Old School?

What a can of worms!

8 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

Time for a list that includes your top 100 worms Haahnster. I can't believe I forgot Fargo! Also, I surprised myself be rewatching Fast Times... and now that I'm an old man, not so funny now.

10:03 AM, October 26, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

At least the full-frontal Phoebe Cates scene was still entertaining, I'm sure.

10:09 AM, October 26, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

Oh, wait, I guess it was "topless" as opposed to "full-frontal." Still, even if you've lost your juvenile sense of humor, that scene could still have its appeal.

10:12 AM, October 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not everyone has the same funny bone. But, I consider all those movies greatly funny,
Except 'Clerks'. So that's not too bad.

My favorite are the suprise funny movies. I recommend watching Independent and non-mainstream as well as old movies,as there are many treasures to be found.

Give mine that you never saw a try one rainy day!

Old Lady

10:35 AM, October 26, 2006  
Blogger KK said...

As usual, you cover ALL the bases. It's way too hard to do a top 10 list on things as sujective as funny movies.

But great effort - part dueux

10:59 AM, October 26, 2006  
Blogger Cup said...

You have a lot of NetFlixing to do, my friend.

11:48 AM, October 26, 2006  
Blogger Cup said...

Hey ... why isn't Bridget Jones's Diary on your list?

10:00 PM, October 26, 2006  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"Blues Brothers - I've seen it several times and enjoyed it. But, this one's overrated in my eyes."

*Sigh* Okay, I'll put it to you this way...just like with another classic of Landis, "Animal House," everyone has ripped off jokes and gags from the "Blues Brothers." Over time, some of the jokes (just like with "Blazing Saddles") seem somewhat dated or cliched.

But when it came out? It was good, funny, original, and there was nothing else like it. When Frank "Yoda/Grover" Oz says, "one unused prophylactic. One soiled," the audience roared with laughter.

Since the success of "Something About Mary," every studio has drained all the fun out of sex gags and sex gags in movies just don't have quite the same impact, that they once did.

When the "Blues Brothers" first came out, it was the sh*t.

10:22 AM, October 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home