Monday, October 23, 2006

Top 10 Funniest Movies Ever Made

OK, enough about my dashing good looks.

Rob over at AMillionMonkeys has concocted a "Funniest Movies Ever" list (click here). It's not bad. However, I've given it some thought, and am going to offer this alternative:

10. Dumb & Dumber
9. The Big Lebowski
8. Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
7. Tommy Boy
6. There's Something About Mary
5. National Lampoon's Vacation
4. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
3. This Is Spinal Tap
2. Animal House
1. Caddyshack

Obviously, there's no way to do this effectively. So, fire away! I'll be interested in some alternate views. Just bear in mind that it's "funniest" (i.e. inducing uproarious laughter) not "best comedies" (in which case, Dr. Strangelove... would've won hands down). In other words, you don't have to be proud of the degree to which you find them funny (e.g. Kingpin almost made my list). And, you certainly don't have to consider them well-crafted films (# 9 and # 3 are almost too well-made). Just funny, damn it.

PS - I can't wait to see Clerks II on DVD. If my first impression (based on 1 viewing in the theater) is confirmed, it's a shoe-in to make my next revision of this list.

PPS - DAMN! No The Jerk, Fletch, or American Pie...shit, this is tough. No Will Farrell, Gene Wilder, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, or Mel Brooks. Ouch. Like I said, fire away...

11 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

Cut Tommy Boy and slip in The Jerk. You gotta have your special purpose ... even if you do look like Matt Damon.

1:03 AM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

I agree with Beth, only because I thought Farley and the deer carried the whole movie. Whereas "I was born a poor black child," "Hey, he's shooting at those cans," "special purpose," and the reading of his letter by his adopted parents, make me laugh until I can't breathe.

I'd love to comment on this list, but my mindset is wrong this week. I've been reading a Fearless Jones novel (Walter Mosley) and watching "Deadwood; Season One" at work. Now, if you want to talk violence or noir? I'd jump on that list.

6:02 AM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Old Lady said...

The Mummy-Brandon Fraisier; Eight-Legged Freaks; Skin Deep & Noises Off (Both John Ritter); Arsenic and Old Lace-Cary Grant; Raising Arizona-Nicholas Cage & Holly Hunter.

8:53 AM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Uh, sorry about the Mr. Darkness veneer. I'm game...


10. "Scrooged." Keeping in with my mood.
9. "Blues Brothers."
8. "A Night In Casablanca."
7. "The Jerk," though I want to put "Elf" in this slot.
6. "Take The Money And Run." I haven't seen this in ages, but I remember that I need an oxygen mask after.
5. "Animal House."
4. "Something About Mary."
3. "Stripes." Aaarrrrmy training, sir!
2. "Face/Off." What, you're saying it's not a comedy? The fact that we were meant to take any of that serious? It definitely was a comedy. Cage & Travolta pushin' more ham than the states of Virginia and Kansas combined. Their body types being complete opposite and we're supposed to believe that you could switch their faces and that no one would be able to tell? *THAT*, is comedy!
1. "Young Frankenstein," because it still holds up.

9:30 AM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Cup said...

I'm on board with Raising Arizona ... Scrooged (but you know I anything Bill Murray does) ... Young Frankenstein ...

Okay, I'm off to write my top ten list.

And I want Write Procrastinator's "Deadwood"-watching job, you g*****n c********r.

9:50 AM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Coffeypot said...

One that I though was hilarious is “Two Week Notice” with Hugh Grant (one funny man) and Sandra Bullock. I still laugh at some of the punch lines.

11:28 AM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger KK said...

I did my own list on my blog. I couldn't take all the arguing over here.......

12:54 PM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Dale said...

The Ref
Me Myself & Irene
Clerks
Office Space
O Brother Where Art Thou
and what you all said.

8:02 PM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Cut "Something About Mary"; add "Super Troopers".

12:14 AM, October 25, 2006  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Just for conversation sake, what about some others: "Strange Brew", "Army of Darkness", "Planes, Trains and Automobiles", "Zoolander", "The Princess Bride" (maybe too lovey), "Blazing Saddles", "Airplane!" (God, I loved those corney comedies), "Fargo"...

12:22 AM, October 25, 2006  
Blogger Rob said...

Yeah and who said Stripes? Writeprocrastinator, that's a good call. Also I was thinking maybe Bananas, that movie is hilarious...

Haahnster, would you include Fast Times at Ridgemont High?

11:14 PM, October 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home