Friday, October 13, 2006

Get What You Need

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. I didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them." -- Judge Smails

Well, I dug into my Stones b--tlegs. I didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to myself.

In any event, this one is toooooo sweeeeeeeet! Get What You Need is the 2002 "Mickboy"* remastering of Let It Bleed. Not only is the sound pretty incredible by my estimation, but there are also ten bonus tracks. That's right. Look at the list of song titles under Let It Bleed in my previous post. Then, add to that:
10. Honky Tonk Women - single, remastered
11. Gimme Shelter - audio from the never-seen USA promo video
12. Country Honk - original Keith-gtr only acetate w/o overdubs
13. Jiving Sister Fanny
14. You Got The Silver - Mick on lead vocals, remastered
15. Gimme Shelter - alternate version (wider stereo)
16. Love In Vain - from The Ed Sullivan Show
17. I Don't Know Why
18. You Can't Always Get What You Want - from David Frost's show
19. Honky Tonk Women - early acetate w/o Mick Taylor's overdubs, and including the deleted "Sailors in Paris" verse

* You might be asking, "Who in blue f*ck is Mickboy?" Good question. As far as I can tell, he's a self-proclaimed Dutch fan of the Stones who takes high-quality vinyl pressings of Stones albums, and runs them through an EQ. He also seems to have access to a wide array of unofficial/unreleased material, which he is kind enough to include as he transfers his remastered material to CD. Mickboy is not without his detractors. I think the stuff is worth a listen, especially since he includes so much bonus material. It's not like the Stones are starving...

PS - "Gimme Shelter" is one of those songs that literally gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. There's just something about Ms. Clayton's backing vocals, not to mention that piercing, stinging guitar...LOVE it!!!! Definitely in my Stones Top 5 ("Gimme Shelter"..."Sympathy for the Devil"..."Paint It, Black"...plus 2 others, depending on when you ask me).

6 Comments:

Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

""Gimme Shelter" is one of those songs that literally gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. There's just something about Ms. Clayton's backing vocals, not to mention that piercing, stinging guitar...LOVE it!!!!"

You and Martin Scorsese. I understand that he's gone to the well for the third time, featuring this song in "The Departed" and damn if it doesn't set the mood.

10:09 AM, October 14, 2006  
Blogger Cup said...

It just doesn't get any better than Merry Clayton, though. I don't blame Marty.

Haahnster: Where did you get this bootleg. I. Must. Own. It.

2:21 PM, October 14, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

WP: Anything that gets me in the same sentence with Scorsese is OK by me.

Beth: We should start trading a few CDs.

4:48 PM, October 14, 2006  
Blogger Cup said...

I'll start making a list of must-haves for you. Um, it might be a helluva lot of R.E.M.

4:59 PM, October 14, 2006  
Blogger KK said...

Oh Great Haahnster, I need this CD. Willing to trade children.

9:10 AM, October 16, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

KK: Check your mailbox this week. I dropped this Stones CD and the Neil Young & Crazy Horse Fillmore East b**tleg CD in the mail on Saturday.

10:09 AM, October 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home