Wednesday, October 11, 2006

3 Albums By A Man With 2 First Names

All apologies for the ridiculously corny title to this post. My brain has yet to shift out of first gear. What a blah morning!

I'm thinking about digging out my old Peter Gabriel vinyl. I haven't listened to these LPs in years. I was never the world's biggest "progressive" rock fan. I have Fragile by Yes and maybe Emerson, Lake & Palmer's Greatest Hits. But, I remember liking Peter Gabriel. I never had the early Genesis (or ANY other Genesis, for that matter) albums on which Gabriel was the bandleader. However, I know I have some of his solo stuff.

Pictured above are his first three solo albums, all self-titled, from 1977, 1978, and 1980, respectively (from left to right). I know I have the first and third. I don't think I ever got the second (but, dig that cool, "Scratch" cover!). He also had a fourth album in 1982 that was supposed to be self-titled. But, in the U.S. at least, Geffen slapped the title Security on it. That was kind of a breakthrough, early-MTV era album for him, as I recall. "Shock the Monkey" was a song for which the video received a lot of play.

Anyway, I think I'll try to dig out some Peter Gabriel. I know the first album has the classic, "Solsbury Hill," and the third album has "Games Without Frontiers" and "Biko." Not sure why I'm "previewing" a musical selection in this manner. Kind of a new thing for me, but I'm not awake enough yet to think of anything else to write.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

Interesting: the music preview. The Haahnster takes the album blog to a new level. Have 'em. Like 'em. Enjoy 'em.

8:00 AM, October 11, 2006  
Blogger KK said...

Peter Gabriel (otherwise known as the boy with two first names - not a bad title) was a self-important marginal artist who hit it big with an incredibly innovative video with "Shock the Monkey". Claymation at it's best! Heavy, heavy MTV rotation, I believe it was the second most shown video of all time next to "Pour Some Sugar On Me".

But he never had much to say. He was the guy in the coffee shop that always sat alone and everyone was scared to talk with him.

But that's just from another boy who didn't care too much for prog-rock.

I guess I'm just a regular rock boy so I'll take my edgy music with guitars and you other "cultured" folks can have the other stuff.

9:35 AM, October 11, 2006  
Blogger Cup said...

BURN! Keith slams prog rock!! I was never into Yes or ELP, not even Pink Floyd all that much, but I do love Mr. Gabriel.

11:39 AM, October 11, 2006  
Blogger Old Lady said...

It's still rock and roll to me!

8:04 PM, October 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home