Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Hapless Arizona Cardinals

OK, so Matt Leinart looked good on the first drive. He led them down the field to a TD. (Rex Grossman picked a Monday Night Football game as his opportunity to look like a true Bears QB.) True, Leinart had a second TD pass in the 1st Quarter. But, that drive started on the 25 yd-line after an interception and return of a Grossman pass. It was a gift. And then there's the fact that da Bears had 5 more turnovers (for a total of 4 Grossman INTs and 2 Grossman fumbles--someone call Canton, OH; tell them to stop payment on the check for Rex's Hall-of-Fame statue), and yet the Cardinals managed just 9 more points on 3 FGs.

Did I go to bed at halftime with da Bears down 20-0? Of course not. Did I go to bed with less than 2 minutes left in the 3rd Quarter and da Bears down 23-3? Of course not. That's just when the fun was beginning...

0:02 remaining in the 3rd: Rookie phenom, Defensive End Mark Anderson brutally blindsided Leinart, jarring the ball loose for a fumble, which All-World Safety Mike Brown scooped up and returned 3-yards for a defensive TD. Score: 23-10

5:00 remaining in the 4th: Da Bears "D" stymies an Edgerrin James run up the middle. Urlacher rips the football out of James's arms for a rare James fumble. Defensive Back Charles Tillman picks the ball up off the turf and returns it 40 yards for a second defensive TD. Score: 23-17

2:58 remaining in the 4th: Arizona punts after yet another defensive stand by da Bears. Rookie Devin Hester returns the punt 83 yards for a special teams TD. Score: Bears 24-23 over Arizona

Then, just to show the truly hapless nature of the Arizona Cardinals, Leinart leads them on a decent last-minute drive. Da Bears stand firm on a late 3rd and 1, forcing a 41-yard FG attempt with 53 seconds remaining, and normally-reliable kicker Neil Rackers kicks it wide...no good...DA BEARS! [ Final Score: Bears 24-23 over Arizona ] So, then it was bedtime. This morning I'm tired but happy. Thank heaven for the Arizona Cardinals.

5 Comments:

Blogger KK said...

On an exciting night of football where the liquor was flowing in the midst of a tornado that touched down a mile from my house, I was watching in amazement as the Bears did something amazing and all I could think of was how happy Eric would be today.

So I'm glad your post reflected that.

Count me on the bandwagon this year with you - all I ask is that you turn an eye towards my Saints that are even more amazing.

1:08 PM, October 17, 2006  
Blogger Cup said...

Did you enjoy Da Bears with lots o' Da Beers?

5:47 PM, October 17, 2006  
Blogger Jeremy said...

My 100-0 prediction fell short.

6:50 PM, October 17, 2006  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

The only thing that makes me mad, is the fact that the Cardinals won't fall apart for the Niners, the same way they did for the Bears. I mean, they used to for us, two seasons ago.

I thought they had the thing in the bag and I changed the channel. I didn't find out first thing in the morning, either. I checked out Cold Pizza and I flipped out. I think you have to go all the way back to beginning to either the Harbaugh era, or the Erik Kramer era to find a similar Bear comeback.

When the usually automatic Reikers missed yet another field goal, the Bears decided that they are a team of destiny and I just might start to believe it, bad Arizona offensive coordinator or not.

BTW, I'm not trying to take away from the victory, I mean it sincerely.

5:06 AM, October 18, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

KK: Thanks. The Saints are off to a great start, as well.

Mat: Nice bet.

Beth: Fortunately, no. I probably would've destroyed the TV, ruining my chances to see the comeback.

Jeremy: Mine also.

WP: "...bad Arizona offensive coordinator or not."

Arizona gave us a gift. They didn't convert our 6 turnovers into nearly enough points. You are absolutely correct that their offensive coordinator was way too conservative.

10:34 AM, October 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home