Sunday, November 05, 2006

Sunday In The Palmetto State

OK, so I'm sitting at the desk in my hotel room in Columbia, South Carolina, taking advantage of the wireless internet access on my company laptop. Have I ever told you how I love business travel? Yeah? Well, fuck that.

A potpourri of semi-random thoughts:

1. If there's anything worse than seeing a constant stream of negative campaign ads, it's seeing a constant stream of negative campaign ads for campaigns in a state in which you do not reside. Talk about taking meaningless to a new level.

2. I miss one stinking game due to travel arrangements, and my beloved Bears go to pieces against a turd like the Dolphins. Yuck. Da Bears.

3. They serve you beer at Applebee's while you're watching the Sunday Night Game (Indy vs. New England...good game), then when they close at 10:00 PM and you want to buy more beer at the gas station near the hotel, NO F*CKING BEER SALES ON SUNDAY!!! What the fuck, South Carolina? Day of rest, my ass. I want more beer!!!

4. The local sports guy just referred to the University of South Carolina football team as "the cocks." I know it's short for "Gamecocks." But, that's just dirty. They can say "cocks" on the news, and I can't buy a fucking 12-pack.

5. Breakfast at the Waffle House in 7 hours...be there!!!

11 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

I would have warned you if I knew you traveling to my state! We who know either plan our parties at Applebee's, go to a private club (which loosely requires membership, but allows drink sales on Sunday) or buy our beer on Saturday night- typically at 11:55 PM with the rest of the restless crowd trying to get that last sale in.

Now, Waffle Houses we do. But even better than that: Huddle House. If you see one go there. I don't care for the Cocks, but Columbia is a pretty nice town. Rush's has the best hamburgers in the nation.

11:42 PM, November 05, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

"Rush's has the best hamburgers in the nation."

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out and report back soon.

12:08 AM, November 06, 2006  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

I love to talk crap about places that shutdown earlier than California (2 am), but I am one generation removed from South Carolina. So I'll refrain.

"I miss one stinking game due to travel arrangements, and my beloved Bears go to pieces against a turd like the Dolphins. Yuck. Da Bears."

It's simple, they got winded, whipping on the Niners. Note that the well rested Niners who gave up early last Sunday's game early, beat the Vikings this Sunday.

It's one game, they'll regroup for Pete's sake. Rex has rebounded well after bad games this season and he has even me believing that Florida has actually gave the NFL a quality quarterback.

5:21 AM, November 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't buy package beer anywheres on The Lord's Day in these here parts, sir. That is not 'less you know summin!

Old Lady

6:53 AM, November 06, 2006  
Blogger Cup said...

Yep, we God-fearin' Southerners don't sell beer on Sundays. We worship Our Lord. But I'm just a couple of hours away; you should have sent out a distress signal, and I could have delivered some full-bodied ales.

Enjoy your Waffle House moment.

7:17 AM, November 06, 2006  
Blogger KK said...

Not buying beer no Sunday is still a big thing in the South. It goes to show that we are smarter down here because we always have to be prepared!

And sorry 'bout dem bears (little "b" today)

7:41 AM, November 06, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

WP: I appreciate the comforting words regarding da Bears.

OL: It's all who you know!

Beth: My fault, but thanks anyway. I did consider going door-to-door offering to purchase beverages out of people's refrigerators.

KK: I should've looked it up..."always be prepared" is my new motto. The 'little b's' will bounce back (I hope).

10:05 AM, November 06, 2006  
Blogger Old Lady said...

You know, you are getting closer and closer to Beth & me, closer to Beth than me!

1:06 PM, November 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to share -- all my family went to U of South Carolina -- the motto that you often hear in Columbia is "No one can lick our 'Cocks!" Yeah. That's SUPER to be yelling out of your windows as you speed by the playgrounds.

and, yes -- the South IS the buckle on the Bible Belt, and we still do have no Sunday sales here. Be lucky you didn't order liquor at Applebee's - South Carolina still has *mini-bottles.*

Ain't that a kick in the head?

4:41 PM, November 06, 2006  
Blogger Joe said...

Anyone in the south knows you should always travel with a flask full of bourbon, for just such situations as this.

On the up side, did you hear Waffle House now offers nude entertainment?

12:49 AM, November 07, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

Mother hen: That is so comforting (I'll stop short of asking you to sit on my eggs).

K Lee: "No one can lick our 'Cocks!" That's almost the exact opposite of my old motto: "Anyone who wants to lick my cock is more than welcome."

Bubs: Yes, Beth was kind enough to fill me in on the nude spat at Waffle House. Very nice.

11:03 PM, November 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home