Thursday, February 15, 2007

33 1/3

Today, we will discuss briefly a most wonderful series of entertaining little books, the 33 1/3 series. I first discovered these little bundles of joy when my brother gave me #30 Paul’s Boutique as a gift. I think Rolling Stone got it right when they stated, “Ideal for the rock geek who thinks liner notes just aren’t enough.” Well, I’m most certainly a “rock geek,” and I simply looooove liner notes. So, there you go.

Now, I’m reading #18 Exile On Main St. This one was written by Bill Janovitz of Buffalo Tom. Check out this brilliant description from pp. 8-9, also featured on the back cover: “Exile is exactly what rock & roll should sound like: a bunch of musicians playing a bunch of great songs in a room together, playing off of each other, musical communion, sounds bleeding into each other, snare drum rattling away even while not being hit, amps humming, bottles falling, feet shuffling, ghostly voices mumbling on and off-mike, whoops of excitement, shouts of encouragement, performances without a net, masks off, urgency. It is the kind of record that goes beyond the songs themselves to create a monolithic sense of atmosphere. It conveys a sense of time and place and spirit, yet it is timeless. Its influence is still heard today. Keith Richards has said, tongue in cheek, the record ‘was the first grunge record.’”

This line totally cracks me up: “‘Royalty’s having a baby,’ was a refrain often heard from a sneering Keith Richards down in Nellcote, while Mick was off with Bianca during her pregnancy, concurrent with the recording of Exile on Main St.

More to come…

4 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

I love this series. I, of course, have the "Murmur" one, and I'm hoping for The Replaecments' "Let It Be" for my birthday. You know there's a "Harvest" one, don't you?

Ah, "Exile on Main Street." What an amazing album. Peter Buck lists it as the seminal album in his life.

And don't you always enjoy Keef's snarkiness toward Mick?

11:27 AM, February 15, 2007  
Blogger Old Lady said...

So, I've been thinking about all this Stones vs. Beatles stuff. I like the differences that you pointed out, particularly about the risks the Stones took with music. I had not thought of it in that perspective before.

I think both groups were innovative in different ways. Beatles and their producer pushed the envelope on music technology with their developments in studio recording. It is unusual for musicians to maintain a market share without touring. The Beatles managed to. I think both groups deserve top spot accolades. But the Stones deserve an award for stamina.

8:04 AM, February 16, 2007  
Blogger haahnster said...

Beth: YES! I need the Harvest, and the other 2 you mention seem like winners as well! There are a ton that look interesting. I think I saw there was one for Forever Changes by Love...great stuff!

OL: That's pretty well-put on your part. I don't deny The Beatles their place in history. I don't dislike much of their music, either. In fact, there's a good portion of it that I really like. I just have utter disdain for Beatle-worshippers who look down their noses at Stones fans. Truth be told, I like both groups. These days, I listen to the Stones a whole lot more, though.

9:26 AM, February 16, 2007  
Blogger Dale said...

I've got to look these books up. Sounds like fun. Beth! You're not completely in hiding! Miss you.

11:33 PM, February 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home