Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Haahnster's Favorite Remakes of Dylan Songs...

(...that I can recall right now, off the top of my head.)

Ranked (quite hastily)

10. "Blowin' in the Wind" -- Peter, Paul & Mary (Hey, I needed a 10th song.)
09. "It Ain't Me, Babe" -- The Turtles (Bubble gum Dylan)
08. "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" -- Television (Note: This would rate much higher if it had been officially released. The guitar solos are sublime. I'd be shocked if Gn'R claimed never to have heard it!)
07. "Maggie's Farm" -- Eleventh Dream Day (See note above, as it regards to lack of official release. Also, this gets special mention because I saw them perform it live at the long-since-defunct Trito's Lounge in Champaign, IL. Musically, it was akin to The Clash remake of "I Fought the Law.")
06. "Mr. Tambourine Man" -- The Byrds (Squeaky clean, but nicely done)
05. "Mighty Quinn" -- Manfred Mann (Fond memories of hearing this one about 1 million times on classic rock radio in the '80s)
04. "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" -- Guns N' Roses (I remember being late to both class and work MANY times while waiting for the recorded-live video of this--from the Whiskey A Go-Go maybe?--on MTV in late '90/early '91. When the album version finally came out on Use Your Illusion II, I remember thinking that the added histrionics were an unncecssary distraction. But, the guitar rocks, and Axl's unique vocalizations still kill me.)
03. "Blowin' in the Wind" -- Neil Young (Let me set the scene: January 25, 1991, America is still embroiled in Bush I's Gulf War. Some friends and I have made the approx. 1 hour road trip from University of Illinois over to Illinois State University's Redbird Arena. After several years as a relatively intense fan, I am going to see Neil Young & Crazy Horse live in concert for the first time. Coincidentally, Neil is BACK in a BIG way, fresh off the releases of Freedom and Ragged Glory. Just a few songs in, and the rest of Crazy Horse drop back for a break. Sounds of air raid sirens and gunfire are piped through the PA system. Neil steps to the microphone alone, armed only with a feedback-drenched electric guitar. "Blowin' in the Wind"...In a word: P-E-R-F-E-C-T. That a similar performance was released a few months later on the live album Weld was just the cherry on top.)
02. "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" -- Them (Van Morrison arranges, plays on, and sings this perfectly haunting Dylan cover. It was the greatest Dylan remake EVER...for a couple of years.)
01. "All Along the Watchtower" -- The Jimi Hendrix Experience (What can I say that hasn't already been said? Here it goes: quite simply, I still get a spine-tingling chill that runs up the back of my neck during the amazing wah-wah guitar solo, as it zips back and forth between the left and right speakers. Electrifying.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

A bit of debate here, Haahnster.

"It Ain't Me, Babe: My favorite version has to be Johnny Cash; that's the definitive version in Cupworld. If you don't have it, let me know and I'll send over the MP3.

"Maggie's Farm": I love Bowie, so I gotta go with Tin Machine's cover. You can kick me under the electronic table now.

"Knockin' on Heaven's Door": While I was never a fan of hair bands, I do like this version. But have you heard Warren Zevon's version from The Wind, recorded as he was dying. A real punch in the gut.

Otherwise, I'm pretty much with you ... but I'm gonna think about it today while I should be writing annual report copy.

9:23 AM, February 20, 2007  
Blogger haahnster said...

Beth: I can imagine the man in black doing a KILLER version of "It Ain't Me, Babe." Unfortunately, I've never heard it! Though I love the music of David Bowie, I have only the vaguest recollections of the existence of Tin Machine, and don't recall hearing their "Maggie's Farm." And, finally, no I haven't heard the Zevon "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" either. Yikes! What the hell am I doing even posting on this topic?!?

Seriously, though, there are sooooo many Dylan covers out there. It's difficult to keep track of 'em all. (Damn, I wish I had a slice of his royalties.)

12:26 PM, February 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm...didn't realize that Bowie covered "Maggie's Farm" with Tin Machine. Better go out and get T.M. #2

Bowie's take on Lennon's "Working Class Hero" on T.M.#1 is definitely on my top ten.

9:35 PM, February 20, 2007  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Haanster, I'm surprised by your recent comments on The Stones, you'd leave out their cover of "Like a Rolling Stone".

And though it doesn't rock as much as the others listed, I actually enjoyed Eddie Brickell's "Hard Rain"

10:51 PM, February 20, 2007  
Blogger Cup said...

Haahnster, I'm e-mailing the Cash and Zevon MP3s to you today. Let me know what you think after you've had a couple of listens.

6:50 AM, February 21, 2007  
Blogger haahnster said...

GM: I'm a big fan of Lennon's "Working Class Hero" (though it's somewhat patronizing, I suppose, to praise the unwashed masses while you're collecting $10 million annually in royalties, as Lennon was). However, I've never heard Tin Machine...

Jeremy: Would you believe me if I said I don't even remember hearing such a thing?

Beth: I received the mp3's. I'll listen A.S.A.P.

9:46 AM, February 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home