Sunday, February 25, 2007

Initiation

I proudly can say I have now eaten at The Varsity at 61 North Ave in Atlanta. And, it was mmmmm, mmmmm good! I had the #1 (2 chili dogs with onion rings and a Varsity orange drink), and took a chocolate shake for the drive to Augusta.

I'll start with last things first: the chocolate shake was delicious. I ordered it at the same time as everything else, so it sat (stood?) on the table the entire time I ate (approx. 20 minutes--hey, I was soaking up the atmosphere), and yet was still too thick to suck through a straw without applying enough force to nearly blast out my own eardrums. Wonderful.

The chili dogs were excellent, too. Just the perfect blend of chili meat sauce (no beans) and mustard, great dogs, and soft, but not soggy, buns. The freshly diced onions are good enough to eat by the spoonful by themselves as a snack. Speaking of tasty onions, the onion rings are a thing of beauty: light, flaky breading, and onions that melt in your mouth.

The Varsity kicks ass! And, it's an easy drive from the airport: I-75/I-85 North to the exit at 14th & 10th, right on 10th, then an almost immediate right on Spring St...The Varsity is on the right hand side. Then, when you're finished, you can make a right on Spring St, go a couple of blocks and veer left to get to I-20 East to head to Augusta, GA...if that's where you're stuck for the week (like me).

Thumbs down to I-20 between Atlanta and Augusta: boooooooor-ing!

Thumbs up to the general flow of traffic in the Atlanta area, though. People seem to enjoy driving at a quite speedy pace (average speed was at least 80 mph, with 95 mph far from unusual).

Hey, someone tell me who wins the good awards tonight. I can't stand watching all those egomaniacal fuckers tripping all over themselves to kiss each other's asses.

12 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

Hey, off I-85, an hour north of Atlanta, before you enter SC you will find Cafe Risque: a waffle-house type joint with topless waitresses!

11:07 PM, February 25, 2007  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

No beans? Imagine that? I've never had a bean-less chili dog.

Oh, by the way, Marty (expletive) Scorsese won! The (expletive) Academy ran out of excuses and ploys!

"The Departed" won!

12:24 AM, February 26, 2007  
Blogger haahnster said...

Jeremy: Perhaps I would finally try 2 eggs sunny side up.

WP: Fantastic! Scorsese has been overlooked several times before. The worst snub might've been Goodfellas. I don't even remember who & what won that year. but, does it really matter? Couldn't have been anything better than Scorsese/Goodfellas.

5:59 AM, February 26, 2007  
Blogger Cup said...

I'm stating right now that I'm p*ssed you didn't call Marni and me to join you.

9:50 AM, February 26, 2007  
Blogger Marni said...

I'm stating the same thing! Shame on you! You could have had a great lunch along with some awesomely, fantabulous, hungry ladies... sheesh.

11:29 AM, February 26, 2007  
Blogger Saxdrop said...

Glad you got to hit up Varsity. Coincidentally, I've been craving Varsity every day for the last two weeks. So on Saturday, we hit up the Varsity, Jr. next to the theater we were headed to.

"What'll you have?" may be equivalent to the bellin Pavlov's experiment, because I immediately start salivating and become slightly dizzy from all the options.

And yes when Atlantans get some room on the freeway, they use it.

3:41 PM, February 26, 2007  
Blogger haahnster said...

Beth & Marni: Sorry. Generally, I'm not the world's most agreeable person whilst traveling.

SD: That was some mighty fine fast food.

8:19 PM, February 26, 2007  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"The worst snub might've been Goodfellas. I don't even remember who & what won that year. but, does it really matter?"

It does matter...

"Couldn't have been anything better than Scorsese/Goodfellas."

and it wasn't even close to being in "Goodfellas" league. Try this, are you sitting down? Get this...















"Dances With Wolves." Worst screwing since the Academy did to him since "Ordinary People" won over "Raging Bull."

11:00 PM, February 26, 2007  
Blogger Dale said...

Mmmm, my stomach's rumbling. But in the good way. Onion rings and milkshakes for everyone!

9:47 AM, February 27, 2007  
Blogger haahnster said...

WP: Dances With fucking Wolves?!? That's especially abhorrent!

Dale: It was quite the wonderful stomach rumbler, indeed!

6:26 PM, February 27, 2007  
Blogger KK said...

Welcome to the South's best kept secret.

9:31 AM, February 28, 2007  
Blogger Old Lady said...

We call Augusta, Disgusta. Can you tell they are 'into' golf. Are you at the golf course or the river plant?

6:20 AM, March 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home