Friday, July 07, 2006

Home Of The Deep-Fried Taco

OK, I understand the resistance to White Castle. It doesn't always agree with me either (not that I can be stopped from eating "slyders" while intoxicated). And, I can certainly see that Krystal offers a viable (superior, according to some commenters) alternative in the South. But, before we read too much into California having no White Castles, let us not forget JACK IN THE BOX.

These guys are all over Cali, including Berkeley, San Francisco and the mighty Oak-town (Too $hort in tha houuuse, what up do'?!). In fact, here's the breakdown:
Arizona (157), California (892), Hawaii (28), Idaho (25), Illinois (14), Louisiana (20), Missouri (53), Nevada (69), New Mexico (2), North Carolina (28), Oklahoma (3), Oregon (44), South Carolina (22), Tennessee (27), Texas (547), Utah (2), and Washington (129).

Eight Hundred Ninety-Two in California!!! Sorry to my friends in the South and on the East Coast (other than the Carolinas), you are not well represented here. Chicago is out of luck as well. Those Illinois locations are suburban St. Louis.

"Jack" has some decent burgers (for a fast food chain). But, my favorite menu item is their Regular Beef Taco. Let me tell you, there's little that's "regular" about them. They are assembled much like an average taco, but then dropped in a fryer of hot grease...for that extra bit of wholesome goodness!!! [Haahnster suddenly misses St. Louis...AGAIN]

Man, I could eat 10 or 12 of those bad boys right now, drunk or sober. They used to come 2 for $1. I'm not sure now, though. Oh, man.

Ooops, almost forgot the history. They began in 1951 in San Diego, CA, and now have more than 2,000 locations. Also, they're publicly traded, so I can see Sales info. In 2005, they had revenues of more than $2.5 billion. Yes, that's billion with a "b".

Hey, can someone pick me up some Jack in the Box tacos, pleeeeeeeease?!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

Oh. My. God. There's a place in North Kansas City that deep-fries tacos. When I heard about it, I cringed. When I tasted it, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. My a** and heart are glad they're not yet in Atlanta.

10:16 PM, July 07, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

Beth,

I know exactly what you mean. I thought deep-frying tacos was the craziest idea I'd ever heard. Then, I tasted them. In Wall Street, Gordon Gekko said, "Greed is good." Haahnster says, "Grease is good."

By the way, Atlanta sounds like a golden opportunity. You should check the Jack in the Box website for franchising information!!!

11:46 PM, July 07, 2006  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

I can't eat gringo-style Mexican food, but Jack's Ultimate Cheeseburger is pretty close to living up to its name. Geary St. Jack is twenty-four hours and I think Lombard is the same.

2:54 AM, July 08, 2006  
Blogger Cup said...

HAAHNSTER: I think you're ready to live in the South with your "grease is good" motto.

W-P: Quit bragging that you live in the greatest city in the U.S.!

8:30 AM, July 08, 2006  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"W-P: Quit bragging that you live in the greatest city in the U.S.!"

For food? Yes.

In terms of raising a kid? The cost of housing? Homelessness? Pedestrian safety? I'd rather live where you live.

11:35 PM, July 08, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

Define "better" and "best" as they apply to food. Chicago has the best food, and the fattest asses to prove it. But, that's if you define best in a way that would leave one in awe of a 12" pizza that literally weighs more than 10 lbs.

7:10 AM, July 09, 2006  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"Define "better" and "best" as they apply to food. Chicago has the best food, and the fattest asses to prove it. But, that's if you define best in a way that would leave one in awe of a 12" pizza that literally weighs more than 10 lbs."

The most diverse menu this side of Manhattan. The best restaurant Chinese food and that's according to my brother-in-law who lived in Mainland China, Taiwan, and NYC, as well as my Grandmother who has been to Mainland China.

Mexican food that is just below L.A.'s, but better than San Diego's. Yup-scale food that is to die for if you know where to go and sea food, but I'm biased.

Now, Chicago? With certainity, I know what Illinois has over San Francisco. Deep dish pizza, it never really caught on here.

Portions, as you cited. Hot dogs? Died out here for some reason. German food, the last good German restaurant closed with Hans Spreckmann's. Polish food, too.

BBQ? Hah, that's where healthly "smart" San Francisco has gone wrong. We're down to few and far between, none of which would cut the mustard in the Midwest. I tell you what, should we use Zagat as a way to compare?

5:48 PM, July 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home