Thursday, December 21, 2006

Lazing Around The House

Reason # whatever that I adore the internets: I'm listening to a Pearl Jam/Neil Young show from 1995 that I just finished torrenting yesterday. It was supposed to be a Pearl Jam show in San Francisco's Polo Fields on June 24, 1995 in front of 50,000 avid fans. Unfortunately, Eddie Vedder was quite ill. After just 7 songs, he announced to the crowd, "This has been the worst 24 hours of my life...I was puking and shitting--I'm all fucked up..."

Super Neil to the rescue!!! Neil Young takes the stage with the rest of Pearl Jam (i.e. minus Vedder), and blisters through a set of his classics intertwined with songs from the to-be-released-3-days-later Mirrorball LP. What a madman! This is proof once again that Neil Young is rock and roll.

Disc I: 01 Last Exit 02 Spin the Black Circle 03 Go 04 Animal 05 Tremor Christ 06 Corduroy 07 Not For You 08 Ed talking, Neil intro 09 Big Green Country 10 Act of Love 11 Throw Your Hatred Down 12 Powderfinger 13 Truth Be Known 14 Rockin' In the Free World 15 The Needle and the Damage Done [tt:72:36]
Disc II: 01 Hey Hey, My My 02 I'm the Ocean 03 Down by the River 04 Downtown 05 Cortez the Killer 06 PA announcement, Jeff talking 07 Peace and Love 08 Rockin' in the Free World [tt:69:41]

Read much more about the event here (thanks, Thrasher).

4 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

Was Neil brilliant?

5:20 PM, December 21, 2006  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Did he play and sing?

10:53 PM, December 21, 2006  
Blogger KK said...

Nothing like having Neil be a sub for you.

Must be like Einstein coming into your high school physics class for the sick teacher.

Very cool.

And Happy Christmas to you and yours.

9:28 AM, December 22, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

Neil rawkked!! Vocals and lead guitar. Brilliant, maniacal soloing. At one point he tells the crowd, "I know you haven't heard at lot of these new songs. But, I feel like a broken record sometimes, playing all the old ones."

Before "Peace and Love" (cowritten by Young and Vedder), Neil says, "Eddie has a part on this next one. I guess we'll have to pull it out of the sky today."

The whole thing reminds me of the movie Tombstone, the part where Doc (Val Kilmer) shows up for the duel with Johnny Ringo. Neil was at the ready...no planning necessary.

12:52 PM, December 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home