Monday, April 16, 2007

Musical Tag

Beth at A Cup of Coffey slapped the tag on me, and here goes nothing:

What was the first recorded music you bought?
Tough one to remember...I recall quite clearly that the first 2 musical items I received as Christmas presents were cassettes of Sgt. Pepper and E.L.O.’s Greatest Hits. I also had a crate full of old LP’s (Hendrix, Sabbath, Santana, etc.—approx 50 in all), either from a garage sale, or that had been set out as trash (This was all in the glorious year 1979). So, what was the first I bought? It might’ve been that Zep IV recently discussed on this very blog.

What was the most recent?
EASY! I can remember this clearly. It’s the “new” Neil Young, Live At Massey Hall 1971.

What was the first professional music show you ever went to?
Has to be when my Dad and Step-Mom took me to the state fair in the very early 1980s, and it was definitely Willie Nelson. The first concert I attended without parental supervision was Van Halen on the 1984 Tour, just weeks after completing 8th Grade.

The most recent show?
Eleventh Dream Day at a club in Chicago, followed by an in-store appearance at Tower Records the very next day. Man, it’s been TOO long since I’ve seen live music!

What's your desert island album?
Ridiculous question, obviously...but, I’ll go with Neil Young’s After The Gold Rush. What an amazing range of emotion and musical directions!

What's your favorite album/song title (not the actual album or song)?
Groovy Hate Fuck (1987) by Pussy Galore (Hey, all you NIN fans, didn’t Trent’s “Pretty Hate Machine” title just get a LOT less edgy? And, yes, I like NIN.)

Other favorites include: Hairway to Steven – Butthole Surfers; Dial ‘M’ for Motherfucker – Pussy Galore; Rembrandt Pussyhorse – Butthole Surfers; Psychic...Powerless...Another Man’s Sac – Butthole Surfers; Locust Abortion Technician – Butthole Surfers; well, it appears I’m in a bit of a Butthole rut...better move on to the next question.

What's your favorite album art (include an image of it if you can)?












Blood, Guts & Pussy by The Dwarves

What’s your ideal choice for a karaoke song?
Pearl Jam’s “Black” – I’m sure you can imagine the damage done.

You hate that song … but it won’t leave your head if you hear it.
“Darling, Be Home Soon” by The Lovin’ Spoonful. The worst bit of maudlin tripe! The rhyming of “dawdled” with “toddled”...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Which is cooler — vinyl? CD? cassette? 8-track?
Vinyl, without question. The art, the liner notes...CD booklets were a semi-decent replacement at first, but of course most releases are cheap & lazy now, with virtually no liner notes. And, let’s face it, the CD could NEVER match the LP in terms of art, because it’s too damned small!

6 Comments:

Blogger Splotchy said...

You wouldn't by chance seen Willie at the Illinois State Fair?

A friend of mine got me in for free at a Peter Cetera-less Chicago concert at the ISF in the late 80's. I actually walked out after they did that 25 or 6 to 4.53214 song. And I saw a really uninspired Bob Dylan show there as well.
You prolly had a lot better time with Willie.

Love the Buttholes, too. I love the cover art for Rembrandt Pussyhorse. Also, as far as song titles, you can't go wrong with the Butthole's song "Chewing George Lucas' Chocolate". And who doesn't love a lyric talking about potty-training the Chairman Mao?

Thanks for sharing.

9:37 AM, April 16, 2007  
Blogger haahnster said...

Yes, it was. And thanks for stopping in.

12:13 PM, April 16, 2007  
Blogger Cup said...

Please karaoke "Black" and podcast it for us! I'll send $5 ...

You were a tough little rocker boy, weren't you?

1:17 PM, April 16, 2007  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I remember seing that Dwarve's album in the local record store. I was shocked! I think I was more intrigued at how you could see that chick's ribs sticking out.

6:38 PM, April 16, 2007  
Blogger rabidt said...

Just to underline the Buttholes' titling supremacy - they win Best Title to an Untitled LP with "Brown Reason to Live."

Another classic: "PCPEP"

Speaking of bests, that's gotta be the "Best 10 minute LP" under your best LP cover art. "Fuck AIDS, just wanna get laid! Gimmie AIDS, Big Deal!"

9:06 PM, April 16, 2007  
Blogger haahnster said...

Beth: I'll have to get much drunker than I've been in quite some time.

Jeremy: That LP cover was first pointed out to me by the lead singer of the ultra-kick-ass punk band, Didjits (who worked in an ultra-kick-ass record store as his day job). The maniacally mischievous grin on his face when I looked back over at him must've been a clear indication of the utter shock on my face.

RabidT: No doubt I should post about the Dwarves. And I hope I will get fucked fucked fucked fucked fucked in the backseat of my car.

10:15 PM, April 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home