Monday, April 09, 2007

Losing Our Focus?

What am I missing here? Don't get me wrong. I am certainly no fan of Imus. I seem to disagree with much of his politics, and more importantly just don't find him funny.

But, is "nappy-headed hos" a remark worthy of automatic dismissal? Is the relative youth (college students) of those targeted playing a part in this? Or, is it purely a racial issue?

Again, I don't support Imus here. It's always more funny, to me at least, to make fun of those in power. I'd rather listen to someone make fun of Bush, Cheney, Rove, or even Clinton, Obama, and Edwards. How about some John McCain jokes? Or, you could take on NBA players, or whiny free agents in the NFL who feel "disrespected" by the franchise tag, which will pay them $7.5M next year instead of $9M (or whatever) they think they deserve (yes, I'm talking about you, Lance Briggs).

In summary, I think Imus chose his targets unwisely. But, "nappy-headed hos" is not that freakin' bad.

I quote Ice Cube (from his song, "The Wrong Nigga to Fuck With"):
And hos can't roll on
Even bitches lookin' like En Vogue
Gotta "Hold On"

I'm not sure exactly how that applies, but it just popped into my (nappy?) head.

Meanwhile, disproportionate numbers of African-Americans remain incarcerated. Are remarks such as those of Don Imus truly integral to the problem? Or, are they mere distractions?

Help me understand.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

Mr. Cube is African-American and thus gets the nappy-headed hos bye. Mr. Imus is a (mean-spirited, miserable) Caucasian; he deserves what he gets.

10:05 PM, April 09, 2007  
Blogger haahnster said...

Beth: Clearly, Imus is a piece of shit. That's not a question in my eyes. My question regards what exactly qualifies as a mortal sin, in terms of racial slurs. Is "nappy-headed ho" the new "N" word? It seems a bit of a stretch. "Ho" has been a quite generic, racially-neutral term for at least 2 decades. (I date it back to the very early '80s with Eddie Murphy on SNL. I believe he brought "ho" to the white masses.) Thus, I can only conclude that "nappy-headed" is the true offender.

Again, it's barely relevant to me, as I don't plan on going on a "You're a bunch of nappy-headed hos" spree any time soon. Just curious. Seems unworthy of the level of attention. Although, again to be clear, Imus is a turd.

6:07 AM, April 10, 2007  
Blogger KK said...

Just watch Dave Chappell's show for some perspective.

Then you will understand, grasshopper.

10:20 AM, April 10, 2007  
Blogger Moderator said...

Something had to push the four year anniversary of the fall of Bagdhad off the front page.

2:30 PM, April 10, 2007  
Blogger Cup said...

While I hate what Imus said, I think all the fallout is a bunch of political correctness. We are, after all, in a country founded on freedom of speech. We also have the freedom to turn it off — but not to censor him.

6:30 AM, April 12, 2007  
Blogger lulu said...

We certainly have freedom of speech, including the right to complain about other's speech, and to voice our opinions by turning off the radio and not purchasing from companies that run ads on shows we find offensive.

That being said, I find his remarks not only racist, but misogynist as well. The man called a bunch of college-aged women "whores", how would you feel if you were one of those girls, or one of their parents?

He's not a teen-ager running at the mouth, he's a grown man, a professional broadcaster who ought to have had better judgement.

2:43 PM, April 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home