Monday, January 07, 2008

Classic Rock Radio

I've been spending such a large % of my available music-listening time on b**tlegs and other 'unofficial' recordings (side note: my available music-listening time is much less than I'd like, mainly confined to the car), that I've lost touch with a lot of old favorites. Lately, when I switch CDs in my car stereo, I will catch a sliver of a tune on the local classic rock radio station to which my FM dial is tuned. Usually, it's some crapola by the Eagles, and I can't get the next CD in fast enough (yes, I've heard of multi-disc changers, or even car-compatible media players...let's not go there at the moment). But, recently, there have been a few gems that have stopped me from inserting the disc, and resulted in some actual listening enjoyment. In no particular order:

"Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who -- Quite possibly THE quintessential early-'70s classic rock song. Damn! This one (and its LP home, Who's next) I might need to spend some time with in the near future. Better yet, I've got my Who DVD set (Christmas present) that I need to report out on soon...Anyway, it makes me wonder how many people there are now who only know this band from CSI theme songs...

"Come Together" by The Beatles -- I caught the last two thirds of this one over the weekend, and enjoyed it MUCH more than I would've anticipated. Not much else to say here..."Got to be good lookin'/'Cause he's so hard to see"...brought a smile to my face like I was hearing it for the first time. Nice.

"For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield -- As big a Neil Young fanatic as I am, I should probably spend more time on the Springfield years, although this was a Stills tune anyway. Something about the classicly simple drum beat juxtaposed with the stinging guitar runs, all backing the vaguely revolutionary-sounding lyrics (though inspired by an incident on the Sunset Strip that had ZERO to do with a Viet Nam War protest) make this a dawn-of-the-late-'60s classic. "Paranoia strikes deep..." indeed!

"We Will Rock You" by Queen -- I think I could listen to this song 10 times a day without tiring of it (STOMP, STOMP, CLAP...STOMP, STOMP, CLAP...). Unfortunately, it is ALWAYS followed on the radio by "We Are the Champions", which is a fine song, but one I could easily go another 10 years without hearing again.

"Mama Let Him Play" by Doucette -- Do they play this song outside the Midwest? I hadn't heard it in years before this weekend, in any event. Really catchy tune. "Mama let that boy/Play some rock and roll/Jazz is much too crazy/He can play it when he's old/He's too young for the blues/He's still inside his first pair of shoes....he's just a baby!" OK, admittedly, it doesn't read like great poetry by any means. Still a cool rock song, though. Love that sounds-like-it-was-recorded-under-water guitar solo!!!

OK, that's it for now. Enjoy your day!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

I'm with you on every track — except that I'm unfamiliar with Doucette, so they must be a Midwest pleasure only.

A friend and I got into a classic rock YouTube-athon Saturday night, zipping our favorite Stones and Who and Kinks back and forth. Amazing that these songs are fortysomething years old, yet seem more relevant than crap from Incubus and the like.

9:49 AM, January 08, 2008  
Blogger haahnster said...

I googled them afterwards (who has time for research BEFORE posting?!), and found out they were Canadian. Of course, that's not to say they weren't merely a Midwestern U.S. radio phenomenon. The song I mentioned was from '78, I believe. If you stumble across it, grab it. It's pleasant enough.

And, regarding your Incubus point, TRUE that! Which radio hits of 2007 will still be the source of such enjoyment in the 2040's? Hell, which are the source of such enjoyment now, even?!!!

12:23 PM, January 08, 2008  
Blogger KK said...

I rarely leave the confines of my SIRIUS these days. It covers all the bases for me. Especially the Vault - which plays lots of things I have never heard. And I've heard a lot!

But I love me some Who. "Who's Next" is always in my top 5 of all time.

Still love listening to "Tommy" from start to finish. Did that on Sunday.

I asked for the new Who DVD for Christmas and it was totally ignored. Think I'll go get it today and get ready for your reveiw.

8:47 AM, January 09, 2008  
Blogger haahnster said...

I need to break the seal on that Who DVD set myself. It seems there's usually a Wiggles DVD playing while Emily's awake! But, I should be able to sneak in some after-hours viewing soon.

9:52 AM, January 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home