Sunday, August 06, 2006

I'm Baaaaaaaaaaack In The Saddle Again

OK, I know I said I'd be gone for the weekend, and blogging would be light on my part. Then, I busted out the breastfeeding controversy and ran. Sorry. I couldn't keep it to myself. My thoughts were like a mother's milk-filled breast in the presence of her hungry, screaming infant. And, I bared those thoughts just as I feel that mother should bare her breast in that scenario.

Interesting comments by the readers of HH...here are some follow-up thoughts:

I don't even care to get too deeply into the discussion of who should wear which type of revealing clothing, and who shouldn't. And, no, I don't expect to see people copulating in public, unless I've paid to see it on a movie screen (or at a donkey show--just kidding). Here's the deal: breastfeeding is eating. It is a baby's method of eating the most healthy possible substance, mother's milk. Plain and simple: E-A-T-I-N-G. That's where I categorize it. Breastfeeding is eating. Thus, I made the comparison to someone talking with their mouth full of food, and described that as infinitely more disgusting than breastfeeding could ever be.

WP explained it to his 3-year-old child perfectly, "the baby is feeding, because that's how the mom gives him milk." Wow. Nicely done. No need to involve "sex" in the discussion, when the discussion is taking place with a child that young (who generally has no questions regarding sex). Again, let me state, I do not classify breastfeeding as a sex act. I'm really not sure how/why anyone would.

Babies in bars...I'm against it. However, if I saw a mother breastfeeding her baby in a bar, I'd probably think to myself, "Well, at least she's getting one thing right." Bottle-feeding a baby in a bar? Total loss.

And, Old Lady, I agree that it's a shame that some women choose not to breastfeed based on feeling it's "dirty" or because they view their breasts as only objects for their male partner's gratification. And, believe me, I always liked my wife's breasts. But, even more repulsive to me are marketing efforts of industrial giants such as Nestle and Mead Johnson (a Bristol-Myers Squibb Company) designed to push formula on women who would otherwise be capable of breastfeeding. Often, it is those who could most benefit financially from NOT using formula who are targeted. In fact, these marketing efforts have drawn so much attention over the years, that the following is posted on Nestle's website:

"The factors that made baby foods success in the early days of the Nestlé company — quality and superior nutritional value — are still as valid today for the wide range of infant formula, cereals and baby food made by Nestlé. The World Health Organization (WHO) recognizes that there is a legitimate market for infant formula, when a mother cannot or chooses not to breast feed her child. Nestlé markets infant formula according to the principles and aims of the WHO International Code of Marketing Breast Milk Substitutes, and seeks dialogue and cooperation with the international health community and in particular with the WHO and UNICEF, to identify problems and their solution. Nestlé's expertise as the world's leading infant food manufacturer, gained over more than 125 years, is put at the disposal of health authorities, the medical profession and mothers and children everywhere.

Breast milk is best for babies. Before you decide to use an infant formula consult your doctor or clinic for advice."
____________________________________________________

Any time you see a major corporation "seeking dialogue" and including disclaimers like the bolded lines above (their bolding, not mine), you shouldn't have to look too far to discern the source of that mysterious and disgusting odor you desperately have been attempting to identify.
____________________________________________________

PS - My sister's wedding was nice. I only had 1 beer at the reception. We made it home safe and sound.

5 Comments:

Blogger KLee said...

Haanster, I missed your orginal post because I was out of town, but I have another friend who had this post up at her blog a few days back. What I find most offensive about the whole "babytalk" cover controversy is that one woman said she was all for breastfeeding, but that she didn't want her 'husband and/or son to have to see an exposed breast [in public] that he didn't want to see.'

My wonder was that *most* males want to see breasts, and even buy magazines devoted solely to breasts, but slap a baby on that puppy, and it's suddenly disgusting? I just don't get it.

11:03 AM, August 06, 2006  
Blogger Old Lady said...

My niece, who tears at my heart strings, was not breast fed. I did not agree with the method of her bottle feeding, which did not give her the closeness she needed from her mother. I recall bottle feeding her one time myself, while I held her and she shook so hard from the pleasure of the attention she was receiving that I started crying. Her mother wasn't nuturing her with hugs and closeness, she just stuck the bottle in her mouth. I wanted to take her for myself and would have if it weren't for my brother.

I liked your post. I like a heated debate.

8:39 PM, August 06, 2006  
Blogger Cup said...

Excellence post, Haahnster.

7:33 AM, August 07, 2006  
Blogger Cup said...

... but just one beer?

9:47 AM, August 07, 2006  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"WP explained it to his 3-year-old child perfectly, "the baby is feeding, because that's how the mom gives him milk." Wow. Nicely done. No need to involve "sex" in the discussion, when the discussion is taking place with a child that young (who generally has no questions regarding sex). Again, let me state, I do not classify breastfeeding as a sex act. I'm really not sure how/why anyone would."

He's ten now and has a better grasp of most things, than I do as an adult.

Advertising and music videos have objectified a lot of things...too many things that have nothing to do with sex in the slightest. I would say to the point that people will project things that aren't there.

"one beer"

I thought brothers were right after uncles in the get drunk and ruin the reception department. You disappoint me, Haahnster ; )

11:10 PM, August 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home