Monday, July 31, 2006

Failed Attempt To Honor Richard Pryor

In a recent blog conversation over at "A Cup of Coffey," I weighed in with the idea of one multi-purpose "insult" for all demographics, regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, or other characteristics. My vote was for "pecker-wood," which I had previously heard uttered only by the late, great Richard Pryor.

Unfortunately, as usual, I did my research after the fact. Please see the following, courtesy of Urban Dictionary:

1. Pecker-Wood

peckerwood or peckah wood is an afro american derogatory term for a poor white.Or redneck,honkie or cracker.

Look at that flat assed peckerwood bitch.

2. Pecker-Wood

Southern blacks used "peckerwood" as a derogatory term to describe poor and/or rural Southern whites. A dictionary of African-American slang explains that the term "peckerwood" had its origins in the word "woodpecker." Blacks saw blackbirds as a symbol of themselves and the contrasting redheaded woodpecker as a representation of whites. Eventually, the word "woodpecker" was inverted to become "peckerwood" in an attempt to hide the meaning and origin of the term. Later, peckerwood came to be used in the North as well, as a general description for white people.

At some point, peckerwood evolved into a term used to describe white prison inmates. In prison slang, a peckerwood or "wood" was a white inmate who was willing to fight to avoid being raped or robbed. Over time, white inmates appropriated the term peckerwood and made it a source of pride.

Currently, the term peckerwood is used to refer both to white youths with loose ties to white power gangs in and out of prison, as well as to actual skinhead gangs who have incorporated "peckerwood" into their name. The various Peckerwood gangs appear to be concentrated largely in California, where they participate in the methamphetamine trade and have ties to other white supremacist gangs such as the Nazi Low Riders. Peckerwood gang members have been charged with a variety of crimes ranging from dealing drugs to attempted murder. Many gang members sport Peckerwood tattoos to display their affiliations.

Yo' best watch yo' self pecker-wood cause in here you da nigger

3. Pecker-Wood

A bigoted term for an individual of European descent.

"Goddamn Pecker-Woods..."

4. Pecker-Wood

a white person that is trash

fuck that pecker-wood he's white trash man.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I'm afraid the gang affiliations mentioned in #2 above sort of let the air out of the idea for me. Thus, regretfully, I withdraw my previous support for the universal application of "pecker-wood."

9 Comments:

Blogger Old Lady said...

Cootie?

10:42 AM, July 31, 2006  
Blogger Cup said...

Damn, I didn't know dissertations were being submitted on the etymology of "peckerwood." Makes me want to go back to school. Maybe we can go to Randall U.

"F*ck puppet" is my new favorite phrase ... but probably not appropriate in most situations.

11:00 AM, July 31, 2006  
Blogger KK said...

I was going to weigh in on "peckerwood" but I thought you should twist in the wind a while.

In the deep south, we reserve the use of "peckerwood" as a noun to our black brothers and sisters.

But hey, it looked good on you for a while!!!

I think "fuck" should be in there somewhere since it is the most versatile of all descriptive terms that actually don't describe anything.

Fuckhead
Fuckface
Fuckpuppet??? - I'm ok with that too!

12:28 PM, July 31, 2006  
Blogger JM said...

Just tell me that you do not have Peckerwood taped to the back of your shirt.

1:50 PM, July 31, 2006  
Blogger KLee said...

I heard a fiend use the phrase "dicksmack" not too long ago, and I thought it was hilarous, and could be apllied to various possiblities.

2:02 PM, July 31, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

OL: "Cootie" seems too watered-down.

Beth & KK: "Fuck puppet" seems a bit too harsh to gain general acceptance, although I'm intrigued.

JM: Damn the luck! I'm out of tape. However, I am considering altering my "I'm with stupid--->" shirt to say, "I'm with pecker-wood--->"

KLee:"Dicksmack" would be tailor-made to assume control of the old cereal slogan, "Gimme a smack, and I'll smack you back."

2:46 PM, July 31, 2006  
Blogger Cup said...

Bushwhacker? Bushworm?

10:37 PM, July 31, 2006  
Blogger KK said...

Dickweed is straight out of 1975 and it's a keeper. Haven't heard that in years. Called my son on the phone this morning and called him that.

I feel much better now.

Dickweed.....

12:55 PM, August 01, 2006  
Blogger JM said...

I just called someone a "bucket" instead of using the full term "slimebucket". Pretty proud of that one.

2:53 PM, August 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home