Friday, July 28, 2006

Apropos Of Nothing: Wink M.

I was just thinking that, as names of game show hosts go, it's difficult to imagine a better one than "Wink Martindale." Man, does that just reek of cheese! I mean, come on. The best part is that Martindale was always his real last name. I'm not sure exactly how Winston was shortened to "Wink." But, who cares?! Once you've got "Wink Martindale," you've got the perfect name for a game show host. Of course, I only vaguely remember him from Tic Tac Dough (1978-1985). He might very well have sucked at his job. I couldn't tell you that. Great name, though...

7 Comments:

Blogger KK said...

It's hard to imagine "Wink" or "Winky" as he was affectionately known picking up chicks in a bar after telling them his name.

Maybe I'm wrong. I think I was once in 1978.......

2:07 PM, July 28, 2006  
Blogger Cup said...

LOVE THE WINK! He was so horrible on the show. Our family used to watch just to laugh at his mistakes.

4:02 PM, July 28, 2006  
Blogger KLee said...

At least his name isn't "Dick Trickle." I can't imagine a worse name to be saddled with. On the other hand, having a name like "Wink" sounds like you'd be a fun guy.

4:05 PM, July 28, 2006  
Blogger Dale said...

Dick Trickle? That's friggin' hilarious.

10:18 PM, July 28, 2006  
Blogger KLee said...

Dick Trickle is, I think, a golfer. I just remember the gawd-awfulness of the name.

11:16 PM, July 28, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

I worked with a guy named Dick Stuff.

Why, oh why won't these guys just go by Richard or Rich???

7:16 AM, July 29, 2006  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"Dick Trickle" is a NASCAR driver and I'm not shouting, NASCAR is all caps like the NFL.

I like looking at Wink's poorly dyed hair in those Orbitz ads. You reach a point where your gray hair becomes unruly (I speak from experience) and you're better oof not dyeing it, just like Bob Barker.

9:01 AM, July 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home