Monday, January 29, 2007

Quick Update

A lot of people have been sending me a lot of notes regarding Da Bears and a certain upcoming game of some significant magnitude. I have received Bears Prayers, updated Superbowl Shuffle lyrics, interviews, predictions, etc. Rest assured, I am dutifully reading them all. I have considered posting some here. However, though I don't believe in jinxes, I'm not taking any chances either. That said, I will happily post this photo, which I feel appropriately matches the level of "class" exhibited by Reggie Bush in the NFC Championship.

Now, regarding another American phenomenon of some note, no, I have never watched American Idol. It occurs to me to ask those of you who have watched it, what would happen if one of those ugly mugs pictured on The Band album cover below walked into an AI audition? Would he stand a chance? Better yet, how about someone with an even more unconventional voice (say Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Tom Waits)?

One more note on The Band...I think if I had been asked which musical group I considered the most amazingly versatile, in terms of varied instrument choice, song construction, and all-around virtuosity, my answer would have been Traffic. Now, after my recent rediscovery of The Band, I think my answer has changed. I think The Band just might have 'em beat!

3 Comments:

Blogger rabidt said...

Agreed on the Band's versatility/virtuosity. One example: Richard Manuel's drum breaks on "Rag,Mama,Rag" are some of the funkiest shit ever laid down. Not bad for the lead singer & pianist. Or, I could just say: "Two words - GARTH HUDSON."

6:23 PM, January 29, 2007  
Blogger Old Lady said...

I cried watching 'The Last Waltz'

It used to be about the music. I have become amazed at how many good looking, hard bodies are equally talented singers and musicians. But you are right, they would have never made it past American Idol.(which I don't watch, just see news clips on)

6:31 AM, January 30, 2007  
Blogger KK said...

The Band always just rocked - it was just to a different drummer. I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment.

8:08 AM, January 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home