Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Look What I've Got
















Robyn Hitchcock and the Venus Three plus Two equals REM
2007-01-07
The Zodiac, Oxford, UK

Audience recording from centre stage, one row back from front.GM-PRO mics & battery box -> M-Audio Microtrack 24/96 (48khz, 24 bit) -> Audacity (track splits/levelling) -> FLAC (44.1khz, 16 bit) -> TLH (fix SBEs)

"My initial levels were a bit high, so there is slight clipping during the start of Adventure Rocket Ship. I adjusted the levels in Audacity to compensate. Other than that, no changes were done, and it sounds pretty good to my ears: a good mix and good separation between the instruments. I lost the last minute or so of Eight Miles High due to this running much longer than expected. If anyone has a complete Eight Miles High that would be great."

01. [intro]
02. Adventure Rocket Ship
03. Afterlife
04. [banter- butterfly]
05. Sally Was A Legend
06. [banter - Ole intro]
07. Ole Tarantula
08. City of Shame
09. If You Were A Priest
10. [banter - teeth]
11. New York Doll
12. Somewhere Apart
13. [banter - Flesh intro]
14. Flesh #1
15. [banter - TV intro]
16. Television
17. Not Dark Yet (Dylan)
18. Authority Box
19. [banter - Scott]
20. Creeped Out
21. Driving Aloud (Radio Storm)
22. [banter - lilac]
23. Madonna of the Wasps
24. Jewels For Sophia
25. [banter - thank you]
26. Kingdom of Love
27. [encore break]

1st Encore (enter Michael Stipe & Mike Mills who played Peter Buck's rickenbacker)
28. [back on with REM]
29. Electrlite (REM)
30. Arms of Love
31. [banter - DJ intro]
Mills switched to bass, Scott on guitar

32. I'm Gonna DJ (REM)
Buck on drums, Reiflen bass, Scott guitar, Stipe backing vox, Robyn ditched his guitar

33. [band intros] - Listening To The Higsons
34. [encore break]
2nd Encore (with Mike Mills on guitar but no Stipe)

35. [banter - prayer]
36. Give It To The Soft Boys
37. Eight Mile High (Byrds/cut)

Robyn Hitchcock and The Venus Three are:
Robyn Hitchcock - guitar and vocals
Scott McCaughey - bass and backing vocals
Peter Buck - guitar
Bill Reiflin - drums and backing vocals
Augumented on this occasion by:
Michael Stipe - vocals
Mike Mills - guitar and bass

WHO'S THE COOLEST KID ON THE BLOCK, NOW?!?

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't you heard of sharing. Anyone else who wants this can find it here http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=129367

5:22 AM, January 10, 2007  
Blogger haahnster said...

Anonymous is correct, though s/he is unable to determine the appropriate usage of a period vs. a question mark, and fails to mention that Dimeadozen has restricted membership, and fails to consider that none of those who comment here regularly are members of Dime. Also, anyone here who has expressed to me even the slightest interest in bit torrenting (2 people so far) has received in return FAR more information than they ever wanted/used.

On the other hand, several have inquired as to specific items posted, all of which I mailed to them free of charge. Not sure if that counts as "sharing." So, I'll share this, "FUCK YOU!"

But, thanks for dropping in.

5:51 AM, January 10, 2007  
Blogger haahnster said...

Oh, and I just remembered...one of my original regular commenters IS a member of Dime. In fact, he's the one who explained the whole bit-torrenting thing to me. So, to him (you know who you are), I apologize for not posting the link.

Man, I have a bad temper these days.

6:17 AM, January 10, 2007  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Whew! That was close!

6:48 AM, January 10, 2007  
Blogger KK said...

I love the "Fuck You". Sometimes that's all that is required.

That show sounds amazing.

Life is like that, always full of amazing things!!!

11:14 AM, January 10, 2007  
Blogger Moderator said...

You're the coolest kid in town. I'd like to know more about bit torrent. Can suggest any websites where I could get more information?

4:10 PM, January 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew as soon as the show was over that I had recorded something special, so processed it and uploaded it as quickly as I could. Within 24 hours more people had downloaded my recording than had attended the show. Many people took the time to say 'thank you'. Only one idiot took the time to say 'fuck you'. Have a nice day.

5:37 PM, January 10, 2007  
Blogger haahnster said...

Oh, and here I thought you dropped in to insult me at random. It turns out you dropped in to insult me while fishing for compliments. My mistake.

Well, IF you are truly the taper and/or uploader of the show, thanks. In fact, next time I show up at your house unannounced and piss on your rug, you can rudely dismiss me, too.

7:55 PM, January 10, 2007  
Blogger haahnster said...

Grant: Check out http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=BitTorrent

You'll be off and running in no time.

8:28 PM, January 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend is downloading this for me & putting it on a disc 'cause I can't get on dime either.

Waiting with bated breath! We had a similar 'treat' in Seattle in 2005 - Robyn and R.E.M. minus Stipe - a kick ass gig!

That you Matthais? a.k.a. "Anonymous"
Was it you that taped the show? Thanks!!!

Hee! My 'test word' is "zmmfp"! How appropriate! :P

8:47 PM, January 10, 2007  
Blogger Cup said...

You are the F*CKINGEST coolest kid on the block! Have I mentioned lately how you're my hero ... how you were my first blog crush (as documented on my navigation bar) ... how I'm hosting the first blog baby shower for the latest version of Haahnster? Oh, and I have a new address ...

9:18 PM, January 10, 2007  
Blogger haahnster said...

Beth: Email me your new address and it's all yours.

10:19 PM, January 10, 2007  
Blogger Dale said...

Anyone would be lucky to get a good review or a fuck you from the Haahnster!

2:02 PM, January 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home