Thursday, March 23, 2006

Coming Soon: Tenth of the Eleventh

One of my all-time favorite bands, Eleventh Dream Day, is due to release their 10th album on April 25, 2006. ZEROES AND ONES will be released on Chicago's Thrill Jockey label. Click here for a preview. There's a brief bio, and a bit about the upcoming album. Also, you can listen to the 1st song, "Dissolution". It sounded pretty good on my initial sampling (low volume level on my work computer).

I just might have to make them the focus of my next "Haahnster Loves The '80s" post...since I got such a massive response with the Pixies post yesterday (Did you see the memo about this?)...NOT! Oh, well.

It's just a tremendous shame that this band never made it huge. Talk about a direct link between Neil and the so-called "grunge" bands of the '90s. Atlantic Records' mishandling of Eleventh Dream Day has to be one of the most incredible examples of screwing up a "can't miss" scenario in music history. Meanwhile, Smashing Pumpkins is the band from Chicago that topped the charts in the early '90s. I guess no one ever promised justice in the world of rock music...

For those of you who missed the opportunity to see E.D.D. perform live, my condolences. They were one of the highest-energy, hardest-rockin' bands I've ever seen. Now, Baird Figi (the original 2nd guitarist) is off in Arizona (or some such place), and Rick Rizzo (vocalist/lead guitarist) is teaching high school math. Damn. At least they still make the occasional album. Janet Beveridge-Bean (drummer) is also in another band, Freakwater. Doug McCombs (bass) is in Tortoise.

I'm going to listen to PRAIRIE SCHOOL FREAKOUT and BEET back to back tonight. I can do it during the Bradley/Memphis game...beats listening to the announcers.

UPDATE: I suppose I should read my own links a bit closer...from the Freakwater site:

EDD will play these dates: Wednesday, April 12, Detroit/Thursday, April 13, Cleveland, Beachland Tavern/Friday, April 14, New York, Mercury Lounge /Thursday, May 18, Chicago, Empty Bottle

Now, Detroit is a big place. So, I assume there's a venue, but it's just missing. In any event, as far as the May 18th show in Chi-town, color me THERE, dude!!!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger rabidt said...

I suddenly am craving fries...cheese fries.

10:43 AM, March 24, 2006  
Blogger rabidt said...

And to hear this new album, and to go to Chicago, May 18! Don't know if it's possible yet, but I'm gonna try!

10:49 AM, March 24, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

Chickenshit on a barstool turns and says, "I've got a truck that'll mess you up. It's got 10-foot wheels and all that stuff" And I say, "Roll away, Renee"

Seriously, though, I'm calling you this weekend. We have GOT to go on May 18th. It's not even an option (Baird or no Baird, although...well, I won't even hope for the original line-up).

Whattaya think?

10:51 AM, March 24, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

Ooops, just saw your 2nd comment (I'm a slooow typist). See if you can make it happen. I'll spring for the hotel room (unless, of course, the "Everly's" are willing to put us up again)!!!

:-)

10:54 AM, March 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home