Sunday, June 25, 2006

The Greatest Feeling In The World, Etc.

I'm currently holding my recently-turned-one-year-old daughter (pictured to the left), and she has fallen asleep resting her head against my chest. At the risk of coming across as too syrupy sweet, let me just say that holding her brings me a certain inner calm that I cannot really describe.

Misc. topics:
It's been called: Bill Murray wins. John Belushi gets a distinguished mention, and endless speculation as to what might have been. Steve Martin garnered strong support. Gene Wilder made quite a late surge, but ultimately succumbed to the "what have you done for me lately" syndrome. Keep your eyes open for more from Will Ferrell...

I caught a bit of Cool Hand Luke on, of all places, the History Channel. I'm not going to get into a full-blown "greatest movie" discussion. Suffice it to say, I'll never understand how/why Paul Newman did not receive the Best Actor Oscar for that role.

Saw a request for a new Robert Plant album, which I don't have. I'll keep an eye on the used CD bins. Also, I saw a request for the debut album from the Counting Crows. I never had that one either, although I did have the follow-up, Recovering the Satellites. I say "did have," because I cannot find it. I do recall "A Long December" being one of my very favorite drinking-alone-until-I-passed-out songs, when I still did that type of thing. I suspect alcohol was involved in the disappearance.

My earliest recollection of the Counting Crows was hearing the song "Mr. Jones". I had a mixed reaction to that song, initially. I recall finding the "sha la la la..." too derivative of Van Morrison. However, the "I want to be Bob Dylan/Mr. Jones wishes he was someone just a little more funky/When everybody loves you, son, that's just about as funky as you can be" verse definitely resonated with me. (I'll admit I had to look up the exact wording on their website--my memory was failing. Oddly, the "sha la la la..." was not listed in the lyrics. Do I have the wrong song?)

In any event, the only Counting Crows I could find in my collection was their 'best of' CD, Films About Ghosts. Just sitting here, that strikes me as an amazingly pretentious title. But, what the hell... My main complaint, as I scan the song list, is that they left out "Daylight Fading", one of my very favorites. That's a fine example of why I have found myself buying fewer and fewer compilations. Alas, I think I'll sign off before this morphs into a full-fledged Counting Crows post. After all, I haven't listened to their music in quite some time. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer not to comment too much without re-listening...

7 Comments:

Blogger KK said...

Send me your address and I'll send you a copy of the Counting Crows debut CD. I have a few copies. It's one of those that I bought multiples to give to girls who needed perspective.

My e-mail is kkenn@howard-ind.com

There are about 5 songs on that CD that are as good as I have ever heard. Reminded me of a combination of early REM, late Doors, with goosebumps of Pink Floyd and just a little Robert Earl Keene.

10:36 AM, June 26, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

Excellent! I shall do so. Thank you.

11:06 AM, June 26, 2006  
Blogger JM said...

Syrupy is ok in my book.. I have gotten to be more sentimental every day single day since my daughter was born. Sons are meant to devour fathers while daughters are designed to slowly crush us.

On the other hand I am glad that the Robert Plant CD is nowhere to be found but that is me. On the Counting Crows front I mainly enjoy Mr. Kennedy's comment--"To give to girls who needed perspective" greatly. Classic.

Also I am sad to see Jimi's quote vanish but the Judge is pretty nice too Pookie.

12:06 PM, June 26, 2006  
Blogger Cup said...

Your daughter is so darn adorable! You lucky dog ...

6:21 PM, June 26, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

She is really sweet and adorable. In fact, she just staggers me. Completely. Thanks (on her behalf) for the compliments.

6:37 PM, June 26, 2006  
Blogger j u s t i n a said...

"Films about ghosts" is a line from one of their songs. Guess it sounded retrospective.

2:11 AM, June 27, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

Good info, j-drink. Once again, my complete lack of research is exposed for the world to see!!! That title makes a lot more sense now.

7:27 AM, June 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home