Thursday, June 22, 2006

What?! No Tommy Boy?!!!

I stumbled across this list of "Bravo's 100 Funniest Movies" yesterday.

Here's the Top 10:

10 Arthur
9 Blazing Saddles
8 The Wedding Singer
7 Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
6 Airplane!
5 South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut
4 There's Something About Mary
3 Shrek
2 Caddyshack
1 Animal House


I have absolutely NO complaints about the top 2. They've been among my very favorites since I was a kid, and I still love 'em. Very quotable. In fact, Caddyshack might well be the single most quotable movie ever.

Shrek seems more than a bit high, although I certainly liked it. (Wasn't Shrek 2 better than Shrek?) I really have nothing negative to say about 4 or 5. In fact, the South Park movie should be the highest-rated animated comedy. (It's also the greatest musical in history, by the way!!!)

Airplane! really isn't my style. But, I acknowledge that a lot of people find that type of stuff hilarious. And, this probably is the best example of that type of comedy. (Or, not, I really don't know. I'm trying not to be too dismissive here.)

I cetainly would NOT have The Wedding Singer in the Top 10. Finally, Arthur?! Arthur?!!!! I loved that movie when I first saw it (age 10), but I'd be SHOCKED to find that it's aged well at all. I might have to check it out again before going too far overboard here. Still, Top 10 for Arthur seems excessive, to say the least.

My preliminary scan of the entire list of 100 revealed a couple of glaring oversights (e.g., Tommy Boy and Fletch come to mind). Take a look and see what you think.

Slap Shot should be much higher than #89. I was also shocked that the original Vacation movie was way down at # 51. With that, and no Fletch, I'm sensing an anti-Chevy Chase sentiment in the list. Bill Murray is well represented, however. And Caddyshack obviously could not be denied, anti-Chevy bias notwithstanding. Enjoy.

3 Comments:

Blogger JM said...

I understand the rage as Tommy Boy should at least be between 6-9 in my mind. I will go to the mat though for Airplane as that shit still kills me--

"Excuse me, does anyone speak jive?"

I am outraged that Young Frankenstein is not in the top 10 as well and you might as well as Spaceballs there too. Maybe I have a Mel Brooks bias though but his shit still kills and it is quotable as hell--

"What hump?"--YF

"We ain't found shit"--SB

11:45 AM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

You are quite correct on the quotability of the films of Mel Brooks. I'm still not convinced that anything else can approach Caddyshack in that capacity, though.

In fact, I think you've inspired a separate post...

12:16 PM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger KK said...

Slap Shot is the most underappreciated comedy. You can't even find it at blockbuster.

Maybe we should start a film festival.

4:10 PM, June 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home