Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Most Quotable Movie Of All Time

As commenter JM has noted in response to my previous post, the films of Mel Brooks are highly quotable. I shan't argue that in the least. However, I'm making an unofficial call, and naming Caddyshack as the single most quotable movie of all time. That's it. It's all over. Haahnster called it.

Here's some anecdotal evidence:

Just today, as some coworkers and I were getting our morning coffee, we looked out the window to see a torrential downpour, complete with winds so strong the rain appeared nearly horizontal. Of course, one of us had to say "I don't think the heavy stuff is gonna come down for a while."

And, to this day, I cannot say (or even hear anyone else say), "I've got that going for me," without adding, "which is nice."

The examples are endless:

Carl Spackler (Bill Murray), "Cinderella story...from outta nowhere"
The other kids during the caddy tournament, "Noooo-nan! Noooo-nan!"
Carl again (prepaing to eat the candy bar), "It's no big deal"
Judge Smails (Ted Knight), "Are you my pal?"
Rodney Dangerfield (character name "Al", I think, but he really only ever plays one character), "Now I know why tigers eat thier young"
Ty Webb (Chevy Chase), "Your uncle molests collies"
And on and on and on...

Please feel free to reply with other favorite movie quotes (Caddyshack or otherwise), or tell me which movie you think is more quotable. "Well...we're waiting..." (Judge Smails)

5 Comments:

Blogger JM said...

Al Czervik--"Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?"

Judge Smails--"How about a Fresca?"

Ty Webb--"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

I had to get a little help on the exact words but these are three I thought of.

However from Spaceballs--

Barf--"Oh! That's gonna leave a mark."

Yogurt--"May the schwartz be with you!"

Dark Helmet--"So the combination is one, two, three, four, five? That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! The kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!"

Colonel Sandurz--"No, sir! I didn't see you playing with you dolls again."

Lone Star--"So, Lord Helmet, at last we meet again for the first time for the last time."

Dark Helmet--"No, no, no, light speed is too slow."

I could go on and on and go to other Mel Brooks films but it is your site.

12:53 PM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

I love that hat/bowl of soup rant. Then, he looks up to see the Judge wearing that exact hat, and says, "It looks good on you, though." HILARIOUS

Ty: "I like you, Betty"
Danny: "It's Danny, sir"
Ty: "Danny"

And, almost everything Ted Knight said is quotable, mainly due to his uproariously over-the-top mugging. Lots of mmmm's and oh-ho's. Too freakin' funny.

I am going to check out Spaceballs soon, though.

1:06 PM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger JM said...

It is Brooks last good movie and it is great to see John Candy. I am not saying that it is near YF or BS but I think it is more quotable-

Bishop--"Excuse me, I'm trying to conduct a wedding here which has nothing to do with love. Please be quiet."

3:31 PM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger Cup said...

I use I've got that going for me, which is nice all the damn time. I love Bill Murray.

6:38 PM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger KK said...

Caddyshak is the most quotable movie of all time. Second place is Animal House.

Who could forget the Germans attacking Pearl Harbor? And how many of us have filled out mouths up with a cream puff and then hit our cheeks with our fists while spaying it out all over lovely girls in the cafeteria.

Yea, long live quotable movies.

4:08 PM, June 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home