Monday, August 14, 2006

Insert Your Own "Journey" Pun Here

As you might have witnessed already, I've been getting in touch with my musical roots in this disgustingly foul year of our lord, 2006. To that end, it was a "block party weekend" on the local classic rock FM radio station. That translates into "we'll play 3 or 4 songs in a row by the same group, then move on to the next." In the particular Sunday afternoon car ride home from the office I wish to describe, a "block" of Journey kicked off with 3 straight songs from their album Infinity (1978): "Feeling That Way", "Anytime", and "Wheel In The Sky". I'm ashamed to admit, I was getting into the groove. I'm certain I owned this album at one point, probably still do. I'd have to check. I know I haven't listened to it in more than 15 years. Admittedly, I was not quite 8 years old when it was released. Perhaps that colors my perception. In any event, I was driving along actually thinking, "Hey, maybe there really was a time when liking Journey didn't make you a pussy." Then came the 4th song in the "block." It was "Who's Crying Now" from their 9X Platinum album Escape (or ESC4P3, as they spell it on the cover) from 1981. Oh, yeah...Journey became a total wuss band. The question is, were they always? Well, color me vaginal, then. I always liked "Wheel In The Sky."

One other thing: The way that "Feeling that way!" always morphs right into "Oooooooh, anytime that you want me" on the radio got me thinking about songs that are ALWAYS played consecutively on FM radio. "We Will Rock You"/"We Are The Champions" by Queen is an example of a pair of songs, inseparable on the FM airwaves. The earliest example that I can think of right now (without really thinking about it) would be "Heartbreaker"/"Living Loving Maid" from Led Zeppelin II (1969). I don't ever remember hearing one without the other on FM radio as a kid. Even if it wasn't "double play Tuesday" (or whatever other cheesy promotion).

13 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

Can't join you on your love of Journey. I wasn't eight, I was a college kid living, loving new wave and punk ... so Journey makes my skin crawl.

But ... "color me vaginal" ... great phrase, Haahnster.

5:51 AM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger KK said...

Oh Great Haahnster - Journey always makes you a pussy.

Sorry.

8:02 AM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Help an old lady remember, Beatles had a double play song, spank me for my dementia! Heart as well. (Steamboat Annie)

Journey served a purpose for it's time, and since I have all those things you mention I assume you are saying it's a chick band?

9:12 AM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger Dale said...

Randy Jackson was in Journey. Nuff said dawg.

10:13 AM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

Beth: Thanks. Sorry about the skin-crawling thing. I suppose "Wheel In The Sky" is one of my left-over "guilty pleasures"!

KK: No apology necessary. I was pretty sure where I stood on this one.

OL: Was it "Sgt Pepper's"/"With A Little Help From My Friends"? I seem to remember those being played as a pair on FM radio, now that you mention "Beatles." Oh, and my wife loves Journey...must be a chick band.

Dale: Thanks, dawg.

10:27 AM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger Cup said...

And don't forget "Sgt. Pepper/A Day in the Life."

1:50 PM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger KK said...

Mean Mister Mustard/She Came In Through the Bathroom Window and other assorted Beatles run on's......

But honestly OL, it's some kind of sin to discuss the Beatles and Journey within the same blogosphere.

I think, I think I am, therefore I am, I think
(Moody Blues - 1969)

2:31 PM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger KLee said...

Hey! I *liked* Journey! Still do. I won't mind you calling me a pussy, but I could still mud wrestle you to the ground should you try it!

Another double shot is Soft Cell's "Tainted Love" and whatever the hell the other half of that was called.

3:52 PM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

Oh! You just reminded me of The Kings, "This Beat Goes On/Switchin' To Glide"!

Great stuff!!!!

4:19 PM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger Cup said...

Another good one is Tears for Fear's "Mad World"/"Pale Shelter," from The Hurting. Had to edit the MP3s into one long file.

9:01 PM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger Dale said...

I thought about The Kings and then see that you were sparked into mentioning it already.

8:17 PM, August 15, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

"I've got lots of friends that I can ding up any time/Mobilize some laughs with just one call..."

8:10 AM, August 16, 2006  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

First, taking a gal to a Journey concert got me as far as I was going to get back then. So I could tolerate "Open Arms" if it led up to something.

Second, That's Greg Rollie (sp?) on "Feelin' That Way" and "Anytime" sharing vocals with Stephanie, I mean, Steve Perry. He sung "Black Magic Woman," people! Hell, Schon, Rollie and the bassist were in Santana!

As far as the Johnathan Cain years, you can see (I mean, "hear")that he was the most "commercial" of The Babys. If it wasn't for Schon, the band would've been completely neutered which was odd, because The Babys could almost straddle the line of rock and wussy.

10:04 AM, August 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home