Saturday, November 25, 2006

I've Got My Orange Crush

The inimitable Beth has tagged me to discuss crushes, specifically my crushes.

After my parents were divorced, my mom and I moved. So, I switched schools between 1st and 2nd grade. I really don't remember much about Kindergarten or 1st grade. So, let's start (briefly) with 2nd grade. I believe the girl's name was Erica P. But, it must not have been too major, as the details are escaping me.

3rd grade held two major crushes: Stacey G. and our student teacher, Miss Ruskusky. My crush on Stacey was a mutual one. Sadly, my crush on Miss Ruskusky was not. Stacey and I were "going together." As I recall, this consisted of very minor contact. For example, we would stand one after the other in line for lunch, but stopped short of actually sitting next to each other in the lunch room. In fact, our relationship ultimately was doomed by a lunch line incident. I was shoved from behind and bumped into Stacey, who did not see the initial shove. Thinking I had shoved her deliberately, she ended our relationship forthwith. (Or, maybe I did shove her deliberately...I'll never tell.)

4th grade involved another school change. I believe my biggest crush in that 4th & 5th grade timeframe was Jamie B. Sadly, I had grown too shy to act upon said crush. Thus, my youthful love went unrequited.

By 6th grade, puberty had assumed full control of all proceedings. "Crushes" gave way to frequent and overwhelming sexual urges. Physical contact was almost nonexistent, and NEVER reciprocated. In fact, I lacked the requisite self-confidence to have much luck with the ladies, a condition that lasted most of the way through college. It's only been since around age 21 that I've been the ladies man I am today (quit laughing). Apparently, not having to spend so much time arranging for others to purchase beer for me was just what I needed.

But, my ultimate crush occurred some time in 1996: my wife!!! That was the one crush that blossomed into actual love. We've been married since 2001, and I am very much in love with her to this very day.

Now, enough of the sappy shit. Let's get back to the music! I've got 2 Van Morrison shows from '78 and an REM radio broadcast from Europe (1989) downloading. And, the postal carrier just delivered a package from a fellow trader:
  • Neil Young & Trans Band 14-Aug-1982 [2 CD]
  • Nirvana 31-Oct-1991 [1 CD]
  • Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 15-Jan-1997 [2 CD]
  • Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 07-Feb-1997 [3 CD]
  • The Who 29-Sep-1969 [2 CD]
  • Pearl Jam 02-Oct-2004 [2 CD]
  • Bob Dylan 11-Mar-1962 [1 CD]
  • Bob Dylan ??-Oct-1962 [1 CD]
  • Rolling Stones "Acoustic Motherfuckers" [1 CD]

I have some serious listening to do!

4 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

I wonder if your relationship with Stacey G. scared off Miss Ruskusky ...

2:48 PM, November 25, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

Probably.

Well, that and statutory rape laws.

3:18 PM, November 25, 2006  
Blogger Old Lady said...

I can't even remember names of crushes as I moved around so much!

8:55 AM, November 26, 2006  
Blogger Saxdrop said...

Incidentally, do you find there is much variation in the Tom Petty shows? Noting that the two shows you have received are different length, maybe this answers my question.

But I've seen a handful of shows (and always will whenever they pass through town) and find it's really just a change in the order of the songs with one occasional curveball.

2:49 AM, November 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home