Friday, November 17, 2006

Mini-Rant And Other Things

The consensus seems to be spam bad, girth good, touching...even better. I like Mat's advice to hold out for more than 20%.

Now, this won't really be a full-on rant, but...

Thanks to Thrasher for the heads-up on a Neil Young-related news item. I have ALWAYS loved After The Gold Rush, and counted it among my very favorite Neil albums. So, naturally, I'm happy to see it included in Time's All-Time 100 Albums. Likewise for Exile On Main St by the Stones...

Here's what I don't get: HOW do you acknowledge Neil's greatness, and acknowledge the greatness of Exile, but NOT include Tonight's The Night?!?? Is there not room for a second sloppy, alcohol-soaked LP in the 100? Oh, and where's Rust Never Sleeps (not that I'm greedy or anything)?

I'm off work until the 27th!!!!!! YES!!!!!! I (once again) RULE!!!!!!

It's time to start talking about the crystal clear sound of the version of "Cowgirl In The Sand" released this week. Specifically, it's time to start talking about how it has been revealed as the single greatest electric guitar jam in history. There, all debate is ended. Haahnster has called it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Hey that's a great list! It's a little weird that 4 of 9 best albums of the '00s are anthologies from the '50s, but whatever. I just love the way this list doesn't seem myopic about genre -- N.W.A., Metallica, Paul Simon, A Tribe Called Quest, Lucinda Williams, Radiohead, Dr. Dre, not only Kind of Blue but also my favorite, Bitches Brew...this is my kinda list!

I even connect with the 1970s choices, and the 70s are not the musical decade I am most equipped to make lists about. But I know enough to know that London Calling and One Nation Under a Groove and Talking Book and Hunky Dory are sweet, and I was glad to see Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on there as well.

Interesting link, hours of fun...

11:46 PM, November 17, 2006  
Blogger Cup said...

Out of Time and Document -- and not Murmur (which changed college radio) or Automatic for the People? OUT OF TIME? For Christ's sake, it includes "Shiny Happy People." These bastards don't know sh*t. Haahnster, we need to start our own -- no doubt definitive -- list.

Oh, yeah ... HAAHNSTER (once again) RULES!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Thanksgiving to you and the lovely Haahnster girls.

8:41 AM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger Rob said...

I don't know, Beth... I like Automatic for the People much better than Out of Time, too (though I'd say "Losing My Religion" is one of the decade's best singles), so I'm with you there. But isn't Murmur kind of better as an idea than as an actual album? I'd actually take the Chronic Town EP over Murmur, it's more consistent...

And do you have beef with Document? That's my favorite of all the R.E.M. rekkids!

2:10 PM, November 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home