Tuesday, June 27, 2006

More Musings Re: Bravo's 100 Funniest Movies

Upon further (but still not in-depth) review, I have a few more observations about Bravo's 100 Funniest Movies list:

#1) There ain't no brothers up in here!!!

True, Mr. Murphy is represented with #74 Trading Places, # 70 Nutty Professor (1996), #22 Beverly Hills Cop, and his voice work as the donkey in #3 Shrek. But, no Coming To America?! Come on. Not only was Eddie hilarious, but it's also about the only thing Arsenio Hall ever did that was worth a shit.

Beyond Murphy, where's the "soul"? Richard Pryor was in #84 Silver Streak, and Whoopi Goldberg (whom I personally cannot stand) was in #83 Sister Act. What am I missing? I would've thought maybe they'd at least throw Friday on the list.

#2) Obviously, nothing before about 1968 was funny at all (according to this list). No Marx Brothers, no WC Fields, no Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Three Stooges, etc. For me this complaint is semantic in nature. I wouldn't want to dig through all that old stuff either. So, just call it the "100 Funniest Movies of the Last 40 Years" (or 50 years, if that sounds better).

#3) They have Police Academy Series at #59, and The Naked Gun Series at #13. I think this is odd. Personally, I probably couldn't distinguish one Police Academy movie from another...but, none of them would be on my list of top comedies either (just not my bag, baby). I think the movies are either funny enough to stand alone, or they're not to be included. Otherwise, why not Austin Powers "series" for example?

#4) I still can't get over the omission of Tommy Boy. Those Bravo bastards.

#5) Apparently, Robin Williams makes a funnier guy-in-drag character (Mrs. Doubtfire at #39) than Dustin Hoffman (Tootsie at #82).

#6) The most quotable comedy that was omitted from the list: Fletch. "It's me: Dr. Rosen-penis" is probably a funny enough line by itself to put the movie into the top 100.

OK, I'm done for now.

3 Comments:

Blogger JM said...

I agree with Coming to America and Fletch as they killed. On the series front, I might put the first Naked Gun in the 90-100 spot but that is it.

A few Coming To America quotes worthy of consideration courtesy of IMDB-

Prince Akeem--"When you think of garbage, think of Akeem"

Randy Watson--"Let's hear for my band, Sexual Chocolate"

King Jaffe Joffer--"So you see, my son, there is a very fine line between love and nausea."

And who can ever forget Soul Glo?

11:53 AM, June 27, 2006  
Blogger haahnster said...

Eriq LaSalle was classic as the heir to the "Soul Glo" fortune...a great foil for the Akeem character. And, I absolutley *love* the multiple roles from Murphy & Hall in those GREAT barbershop scenes (probably the inspiration for the Barbershop movies with Ice Cube). These scenes are easily on par with the multiple-Murphy dinner table scenes in Nutty Professor (also hilarious). And, then there's the brief appearance of the Duke brothers from Trading Places, as homeless guys getting the bag of money from Akeem. Coming To America is great stuff!!!

12:33 PM, June 27, 2006  
Blogger JM said...

I will never, ever forget Randy Watson and Sexual Chocolate's version of whitney Houston's "Greatest Love Of All".

I will also never forget the old "Arsenio" dropping a chicken bone in the collection plate.

9:09 PM, June 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home